- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 30, 2002
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 10/11/1996
"...A modest sleeper with more heart than all the MIGHTY DUCKS movies combined....The feel-good ending doesn't seem phony. It feels deserved."
Variety - 03/25/1996
"...The ensemble of kids is actually quite compelling. The picture is well cast with bright new faces and seasoned vets..."
Halle Berry (MONSTER'S BALL) stars in this inspirational adventure in which a group of low-income, under-achieving Hawaiian students are inspired by their new science teacher to design a solar-powered car for a local competition. Their determination ultimately lands them in Australia in a 2,000 mile race across the Outback.
Based on a true story, this film is set in Hawaii, where a new schoolteacher attempts to jumpstart her lazybone students by suggesting they enter a science fair. The pupils agree, and build a makeshift solar-powered car. But the kids set their sights beyond the science fair, and enter a regional solar vehicle race, which they win. Now the students are en route to Australia for the 2,000 mile championship race -- against stronger, better, professional cars that have corporate sponsors. Can the plucky teens beat the odds and win with their homemade car'
Personal Triumph |
Social Issues |
- Released in the USA on March 22, 1996.
- Color by Atlab.
- Additional credits: Michael Lendrum, Tapio Piituloinen (solar car coordinators).
- This film was inspired by the Hawaiian students who competed in the 1980 World Solar Challenge.