- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 11, 1998
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Kathleen Turner &
Kevin J. O'Connor,
Lisa Jane Persky,
Lucinda Jenney &
Francis Ford Coppola
Jerry Leichting &
Paul R. Gurian
Director of Photography:
New York Times - 10/05/1986
"...Turner's self-assured comic timing...provid[es] both moral and physical dimension..."
Variety - 09/24/1986
"...Provocative, well-acted, stylish..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/08/1986
"...Nothing prepares you for the rush of real emotion the film generates, for its poignance, its reassurance or its high of pure pleasure..."
A charming twist on the Rip van Winkle fairy tale, PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED tells the story of Peggy Sue Bodell (Kathleen Turner), a 43-year-old wife and mother who, while attending her high school reunion, faints and wakes up back in 1960. Peggy Sue lives with her mom and dad, attends high school, and dates her future husband (Nicolas Cage). Will knowing what her future holds make Peggy Sue change her life while she has the chance' Kathleen Turner received a well-deserved Oscar nomination for her role as a middle-aged woman encountering the problems of a teen.
Francis Ford Coppola's seriocomic drama is the charming tale of middle-aged Peggy Sue Bodell (Kathleen Turner). As an unhappy mother of two, considering divorce from her weasel of a husband, it doesn't seem like a great time to have to attend her 25-year high school reunion and contemplate all those youthful dreams that didn't come true. But at the party Peggy Sue faints...and wakes up to find herself 18 again and back in high school in 1960, where she gets the chance to "do it all over again." Peggy Sue reveals to her shocked brainy schoolmate Richard Norvik (Barry Miller) some of his future "high-tech" inventions and has a fling with a dreamy Beat poet (Michael Fitzsimmons). Now realizing she has the ability to rearrange her future, she must decide if her true happiness lies with future husband Charlie (Nicolas Cage), a Fabian wannabe. Helen Hunt is Peggy's supportive daughter and Maureen O'Sullivan appears in a small role as the grandmother Peggy gets to revisit. Turner was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her funny, believable role as a woman sent back in time to high school.
- The film premiered on October 5, 1986.
- A then-unknown Jim Carrey has a small part in the film as high schooler Walter Getz.
- Debra Winger was initially cast as Peggy Sue but was forced to back out of the movie due to a back ailment.
- PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED was Coppola's biggest financial hit of the 1980s.
- John Carradine, Leon Ames, and Maureen O'Sullivan make special appearances in the film.
- "I'm an adult. I wanna have fun. I'm going to Liverpool and discover the Beatles."--Peggy Sue (Kathleen Turner)
- "What's the fun of being a teenager if you can't dress weird."--Charlie Bodell (Nicolas Cage)
- "Who needs physics when we've got chemistry."--Charlie to Peggy Sue