- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 13, 2004
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 05/01/1995
"...An exuberant portrait....Fast, zesty..." - Recommended
Rolling Stone - 11/03/1994
"...A stunning debut..."
New York Times - 10/14/1994
"...[A] terrifically buoyant debut feature....[I LIKE IT LIKE THAT] looks like true love..."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/14/1995
"...Absorbing....A rare film..." -- Rating: A-
Variety - 05/23/1994
"...Martin demonstrates that she knows her way around a camera and actors..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/14/1994
"...Lively, assured and practically vibrating with color and excitement, I LIKE IT LIKE THAT marks the emergence of a passionate new film voice..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/14/1994
"...Martin puts a spin on the material with lots of human color and high energy..."
Lisette and Chino Linares live in the Bronx with their three children, barely scraping by on his small paycheck from a bicycle messenger job. During a blackout, Chino gets arrested for stealing a stereo, and his bail's set at $1,500. Since Lisette doesn't have the money, she seeks employment. Unfortunately, she winds up as an assistant to a sexist and self-obsessed record executive who believes he knows all there is to know about Latino music. Lisette proves him wrong, and her career takes off. But Chino becomes jealous, and demands she quit her job and go on welfare. Lisette refuses, and this rebellion is her first step in realizing that her potential lies beyond that of a frustrated mother and wife.
Big City |
Family Interaction |
Love Story |
- "I Like It Like That" was director-screenwriter Darnell Martin's feature-film debut.
- Expected release: October 14, 1994.
- Filmed in DuArt; Technicolor.
- In Dolby stereo.
- Copyright 1994 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- A Think Again production.