- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 29, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Making Of: HBO On Location
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Isolated Audio Track: Score
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Additional Products:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 05/??/2000
"...[Basinger] gives a vibrant, forceful performance. Thanks largely to her, the movie manages to elicit a few tears..."
USA Today - 05/19/1999
"...Lushly photographed....[Basinger] invests her role with passion..."
Box Office - 05/01/2000
"...[Basinger] manages to be as vibrantly filled with beauty, tragedy and hope as the African continent which she struggles to make her home..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
Based on the book of the same name, I DREAMED OF AFRICA is the true story of Kuki Gallman (Kim Basinger), a wealthy Italian socialite whose life changes abruptly after a near fatal car crash. Vowing to appreciate her life more deeply, she agrees to marry Paolo Gallman (Vincent Perez), a man she does not know well, and sets off with her young son, Emmanuelle (Liam Aiken), for a new life in the countryside of Kenya. A cattle ranch in the Lakipani region of Kenya becomes the Gallmans' new home, far away from the creature comforts of their posh household in Italy. Kuki is beset with the daily challenges of life in Africa, including harsh weather, dangerous animals, and the absence of her husband, who spends days away hunting with his new friends. Forced to face many challenges alone, Kuki experiences a cultural awakening, inspired by an intense and emotional connection to the land, animals, and rhythm of Africa. Finding her new purpose in life, Kuki becomes an activist for endangered African animals, most notably elephants and rhinoceroses. Her resulting battles with those opposing her ideas provide the greatest conflicts in this inspiring and lyrical film that features an impassioned performance by Basinger. Director Hugh Hudson effectively captures the breathtaking beauty of both the African landscape and the animals that Kuki dedicated her life to help save.
I DREAMED OF AFRICA is a true story based on the novel by Kuki Gallman, an Italian woman who had a cultural awakening when her family relocated to Kenya.
- Theatrical release: May 5, 2000.
- Filmed on location in Italy, South Africa, and at Ol Ari Nyiro, the Gallmans' 100,000 acre ranch.
- I DREAMED OF AFRICA features Eva Marie Saint, a screen star of the 1950s and 1960s who starred in classic films such as Alfred Hitchcock's NORTH BY NORTHWEST and Elia Kazan's ON THE WATERFRONT.