- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 27, 2002
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Sony Pictures
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen- 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1- English
- Dolby Digital 2.0- French
Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary- 1. Motonori Sakakibara- Co-Director, Hiroyuki Hayashida- Sequence Supervisor, Tatsuro Maruyama- sets and props lead artist, Takao Noguchi- Phantom Supervisor
- Andy Jones- Animation director, Chris S. Capp- Editor, Tani
Isolated Score with commentary by composer Elliot Goldenthal
Storyboard/Playblast selects of the film with optional filmmaker commentary or subtitled factoids
- Kunitake- Staging Director
- Interactive Animated Menus
- Scene Selection with motion images
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 07/11/2001
"...The visual effects are wondrous..."
USA Today - 07/11/2001
"...A visual marvel....The emotional kick wouldn't be much stronger were it populated with people..."
Variety - 07/09/2001
"...Visually impressive....[The] voicing is solid down the line....[The film] evinces a craftsmanlike fastidiousness throughout all levels of production..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/20/2001
"...A mesmerizing technical achievement....These computer-created characters represent a cinematic art of the future....It's a great wow..."
Rolling Stone - 08/02/2001
"...The film exerts a hold..."
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2001
"...Those being inducted to FINAL FANTASY through THE SPIRITS WITHIN will marvel at the technical expertise of game-producer-turned-director Hironobu Sakaguchi..."
Total Film - 09/01/2001
"...Sci-fi fans and programmers will find it hard to contain their glee as battleships explode in vibrant shades of orange and red....The alien phantoms, luminous and ethereal, are both beautiful and terrifying..."
Ultimate DVD - 04/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "This was a groundbreaking movie that triumphantly unveiled realistic virtual humans..."
Computer Animation |
Fantasy Worlds |
- Theatrical Release: JULY 11, 2001