- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 21, 2007
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English - Closed Captioned
- Subtitles - English, French - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary
- Featurette: "15th Anniversary Q&A Featuring Bill Paxton, Judd Nelson, Adam Rifkin and Brad Wyman"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 11/22/1991
"...Determinedly weird and frequently funny....THE DARK BACKWARD is a work of real craftsmanship that builds well and boasts superlative production design..."
A nerdy garbageman has major aspirations of becoming the next Jay Leno but his agent thinks he is the worst stand-up comic there is. Meanwhile, he must contend with a mysterious bump that appears on his back from which a human hand sprouts. He parlays this into his stand-up act and his talent agent is singing another tune.
Judd Nelson is Marty Malt, a geeky garbage man who moonlights as a stand-up comic. Sadly, Marty Malt's career in comedy hasn't brought him much success but when he develops a rare deformity, it might give him the extra edge he needs to be a main attraction.
- "The Dark Backward" played at the 1991 Santa Barbara Film Festival.