- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 19, 2003
- Originally Released: 1944
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Subtitles - English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1944 -
Best Adapted or Musical Song/Score: Carmen Dragon & Morris Stoloff
USA Today - 02/23/1990
"...The prototypical Rita Hayworth musical...[with] knockout décor and cinematography..."
Rusty Parker (Rita Hayworth) longs to leave behind her job as a Brooklyn dancer and be a Broadway star. Things begin to look up for her when she enters a "Cover Girl"
contest--she reminds the wealthy publisher of a lost love, and lands on the cover. As fate would have it, she is the granddaughter of the woman who broke the publisher's heart. Thus, Rusty begins a winning streak which sees her gathering the attentions of several wealthy men...but is it really the faithful Danny McGuire (Gene Kelly) whom she loves' This very funny Kern and Gershwin music features many lavish production numbers featuring the stunning Hayworth, great dancing by Kelly, and strong supporting roles from Phil Silvers and Eve Arden. Academy Award Nominations: 5. Academy Awards: Best Scoring of a Musical Picture.
Rags To Riches |
- This film features the innovative "Alter-Ego" musical number, in which Kelly dances with his own image. According to co-choreographer Stanley Donen, director Charles Vidor didn't believe it was technically possible to accomplish what Donen and Kelly envisioned. So Donen himself took charge of the sequence -- his first shot at directing.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional credits: John Hoffman (montages and cover girl presentation); P.J. Faulkner (music recording)