- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 11, 2007
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 01/01/2004
"[C]old and unflinching."
Total Film - 06/01/2011
5 stars out of 5 -- "Michael Reeves' acidic reimagining of history was a riposte to the superficial glamour of 1968 Britain."
Set in 17th century England during the violent early days of Cromwell's rule, THECONQUEROR WORM is Michael Reeves' dark, violent tale of the infamous 17th century witchhunter, Matthew Hopkins (Vincent Price). A failed lawyer, Hopkins practiced his wicked trade throughout the British countryside for nearly a decade, capitalizing on the instability and tumultuous upheavals created by the English Civil War. After years of unchallenged torture and sadistic murder, the witchfinder finally meets his match when until he runs afoul of an army officer who vows revenge.
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
Witches And Wizards
- The original British title is "Witchfinder General". For the U.S. release, American International added a poetry voiceover at the beginning and end of the film and changed the title to "The Conqueror Worm".
- Director Michael Reeves died at the age of 24, shortly after the release of this film.
- Shot on location in the English countryside of Norfolk and Suffolk.