A Blow for Me, A Toot To You
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Eddie Hazel ~ Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs ~ $11.68
- Released: October 6, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 18214 (1977)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Fred Wesley is one of the most famous sidemen in music. His leadership of James Brown's legendary backing group the JB's, and his work with George Clinton, redefined funk and R&B. This is Wesley's charting, solo debut from 1977 and includes the hits "Up For The Down Stroke and "Four Play".
Uncut - 6/03, p.1334 stars out of 5 - "...Tracks include instrumental reworkings of Parliament material, tunes written by Wesley while in the JB's yet never recorded, and a host of funky free-for-alls backed by fellow P-Funkateers such as Bootsy Collins..."
- 1.Up For The Down Stroke
- 2.A Blow For Me, A Toot To You
- 3.When In Doubt: Vamp
- 4.Between Two Sheets
- 5.Four Play
- 6.Peace Fugue
Personnel includes: Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Maceo Parker.
Fred Wesley/Fred Wesley & the Horny Horns: Fred Wesley (trombone, background vocals); Bootsy Collins (guitar, bass instrument, drums, drum, background vocals); Phelps "Catfish" Collins (guitar, background vocals); Mike Hampton "Kid Funkadelic", Garry Shider, Glen Goins (guitar); Maceo Parker (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, background vocals); Richard "Kush" Griffith, Rick Gardner (trumpet, background vocals); The Brecker Brothers (horns); Bernie Worrell (keyboards, synthesizer, background vocals); Frankie "Kash" Waddy, Jerome Brailey (drums, drum).
Personnel: Jim Vitti (guitar); Dawn Silva, Taka Khan, Gary "Mudbone" Cooper, Lynn Mabry, Randy Crawford (background vocals).
Recording information: Hollywood Sound Studio; United Sound Studios.
Having been in the employ of James Brown, who gave them a first-class education in funk and soul, Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker were obvious choices to contribute to George Clinton's P-Funk empire (the Godfather of Soul was a major influence on Clinton). In 1977, Clinton and Bootsy Collins produced A Blow for Me, A Toot for You, the debut album by Fred Wesley & the Horny Horns -- a group that boasted Wesley on trombone, Parker on tenor and alto sax, and Rick Gardner and Richard "Kush" Griffith on trumpet. Clinton and Collins did a lot of the writing, and not surprisingly, much of this vinyl LP is pure P-Funk. The album gets off to a gritty start with a remake of Parliament's "Up for the Down Stroke," and the Parliament influence is equally strong on "Between Two Sheets." As for the instrumentals, "Four Play" blends funk and jazz, while Wesley's moody "Peace Fugue" isn't unlike something you would have heard on a CTI recording in the 1970s. "Peace Fugue," in fact, is the least Clinton-sounding thing on the LP. A Blow for Me, A Toot for You may not be in the same class as Parliament's Mothership Connection, Collins' Ahh...The Name is Bootsy, Baby! or Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove, but not many LPs were. Overall, it's a likable record that anyone who loves P-Funk should be aware of. ~ Alex Henderson
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 15,152
- UPC: 090431792025
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Feel No Fret/Volume 8/Shine/Cupids in Fashion (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE