A Blow for Me, A Toot To You
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 6, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 18214 (1977)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Fred Wesley is one of the most famous sidemen in music. His leadership of James Brown's legendary backing group the JB's, and his work with George Clinton, redefined funk and R&B. This is Wesley's charting, solo debut from 1977 and includes the hits "Up For The Down Stroke and "Four Play".
Uncut - 6/03, p.1334 stars out of 5 - "...Tracks include instrumental reworkings of Parliament material, tunes written by Wesley while in the JB's yet never recorded, and a host of funky free-for-alls backed by fellow P-Funkateers such as Bootsy Collins..."
- 1.Up For The Down Stroke
- 2.A Blow For Me, A Toot To You
- 3.When In Doubt: Vamp
- 4.Between Two Sheets
- 5.Four Play
- 6.Peace Fugue
Personnel includes: Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Maceo Parker.
Fred Wesley/Fred Wesley & the Horny Horns: Fred Wesley (trombone, background vocals); Bootsy Collins (guitar, bass instrument, drums, drum, background vocals); Phelps "Catfish" Collins (guitar, background vocals); Mike Hampton "Kid Funkadelic", Garry Shider, Glen Goins (guitar); Maceo Parker (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, background vocals); Richard "Kush" Griffith, Rick Gardner (trumpet, background vocals); The Brecker Brothers (horns); Bernie Worrell (keyboards, synthesizer, background vocals); Frankie "Kash" Waddy, Jerome Brailey (drums, drum).
Personnel: Jim Vitti (guitar); Dawn Silva, Taka Khan, Gary "Mudbone" Cooper, Lynn Mabry, Randy Crawford (background vocals).
Recording information: Hollywood Sound Studio; United Sound Studios.
Having been in the employ of James Brown, who gave them a first-class education in funk and soul, Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker were obvious choices to contribute to George Clinton's P-Funk empire (the Godfather of Soul was a major influence on Clinton). In 1977, Clinton and Bootsy Collins produced A Blow for Me, A Toot for You, the debut album by Fred Wesley & the Horny Horns -- a group that boasted Wesley on trombone, Parker on tenor and alto sax, and Rick Gardner and Richard "Kush" Griffith on trumpet. Clinton and Collins did a lot of the writing, and not surprisingly, much of this vinyl LP is pure P-Funk. The album gets off to a gritty start with a remake of Parliament's "Up for the Down Stroke," and the Parliament influence is equally strong on "Between Two Sheets." As for the instrumentals, "Four Play" blends funk and jazz, while Wesley's moody "Peace Fugue" isn't unlike something you would have heard on a CTI recording in the 1970s. "Peace Fugue," in fact, is the least Clinton-sounding thing on the LP. A Blow for Me, A Toot for You may not be in the same class as Parliament's Mothership Connection, Collins' Ahh...The Name is Bootsy, Baby! or Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove, but not many LPs were. Overall, it's a likable record that anyone who loves P-Funk should be aware of. ~ Alex Henderson
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 22,352
- UPC: 090431792025
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER WEEK
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER WEEK
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $6.74 CYBER WEEK
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER WEEK
R&B: Funk Music Categories:
- 100 Proof (Aged in Soul) Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD) ~ $11.12 CYBER WEEK
- 24-Carat Black Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth (CD) ~ $9.88 CYBER WEEK
- Jan Akkerman C.U. (Import) (CD) ~ $15.43 CYBER WEEK
- Rance Allen The Live Experience (CD) ~ $8.98 CYBER WEEK
- Amnesty Free Your Mind: The 700 West Sessions (CD) ~ $11.93 CYBER WEEK