Hothouse Flowers Home
|You Save:||$11.48 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 26, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: London 828197 (1998)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Drawing from such diverse genres as Celtic folk, gospel and alternative rock, hothouse flowers built a world wide following in the late 80's and early 90's. Released in 1990, "Home" is their successful sophomore effort that added to their break out popularity. Includes the hits "Eyes Wide Open", "Sweet Marie" and "Give It Up".
Rolling Stone - 8/23/904 Stars - Excellent - "has the kind of vision evidenced in only a few popular musicians of each generation."
Entertainment Weekly"...especially touching." - Rating: B
Q3 Stars - Good
Stereo Review (11/90) - "...a bottomless work that marries traditional folk, knockabout rock, and feverish gospel in the service of a deep Celtic yearning for a rooted, meaningful existence in a tarnished world....the music is a rich interweaving of electric rock and ethnic folk instruments."
- 2.Give it up
- 3.Christchurch Bells
- 4.Sweet Marie
- 5.Giving it all away
- 6.Shut up and listen
- 7.I can see clearly now
- 9.Eyes wide open
- 12.Trying to get through
- 13.Dance to the Storm
- 14.Seoladh na nGamhna
Hothouse Flowers: Fiachna O'Braonain (vocals, guitar); Liam O'Maonlai (vocals, keyboard); Leo Bernes (saxophone); Peter O'Toole (bass); Jerry Fehily (drums).
Hothouse Flowers continued their exploration of Irish folk and gospel on their second album, Home. Their debut album, People, had introduced Hothouse Flowers to the world, largely through the strength of the single "Don't Go." While Home is every bit as good as People, it lacks an obvious standout track. Nonetheless, several singles were released from this disc, namely "I Can See Clearly Now," "Give It Up," and "Movies." The shadow of Van Morrison looms large over Home, from the slow, piano-driven ballads "Sweet Marie" and "Shut Up and Listen" to gospel choir-backed rockers like "Giving It All Away" and their cover of "I Can See Clearly Now." Hothouse Flowers aren't simply a pale imitation of their influences, though, and their songwriting and musicianship are excellent throughout. From the clever anthem "Movies" to the Eastern-tinged "Water," Hothouse Flowers have created a masterful collection of pop songs. Home is an underrated gem. ~ Jonathan Lewis
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 56,718
- UPC: 090431791820
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Campfire Songs: The Popular, Obscure & Unknown Recordings... (CD)
$19.47 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE