- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 20, 1999
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Universal Studios
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
Additioal Release Material:
- Cast & filmmakers' bios
- Film highlights
- Trailer - Theatrical
DVD Rom Freatures:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 09/20/1996
"A refreshingly stimulating premise and an efficient thriller..." -- Rating: B
Variety - 06/10/1996
"...THE TRIGGER EFFECT maintains a potent mood of dread....[Shue] is compelling..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 08/30/1996
"...From the start, Koepp sets out to get under the viewer's skin, which he does with relentless ease..."
A young, suburban couple find themselves inexorably drawn into increasing lawlessness when a long-lasting, region-wide power failure plunges the entire city into anarchy. Joined by a friend, they flee for other, safer parts of the country, only to face strangers, distrust, fear, and--ultimately--their own humanity.
An examination of the pressures of middle-class suburban life, as seen through the eyes of yuppie couple Matt and Annie one eventful night. After a volatile evening at the movies, the pair come home to find that their daughter has an infection. Shortly thereafter, a blackout occurs in their town, making it tough for Matt to get help for his child. Matters worsen when a macho old friend named Joe pays the couple a surprise visit during the power outage. Soon, macho Joe's working class mores begin to fray Matt's last nerve...
These stressful elements -- combined with alcohol consumption -- manage to remove Matt and Annie from the reality they once knew. And that leads to unfortunate circumstances when a looter breaks into their home...
Social Issues |
Theatrical Release |
- Shown in competition at the Seattle Film Festival on June 4, 1996.
- Released theatrically in the USA on August 30, 1996.
- The film marks the directorial debut of screenwriter David Koepp, cowriter of the films MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and JURASSIC PARK. Koepp also wrote and directed the short film SUSPICIOUS, starring Janeane Garofalo.
- Koepp was inspired to write THE TRIGGER EFFECT after viewing the BBC documentary CONNECTIONS, written and directed by James L. Burke and originally broadcast in the late 1970s.
- The MCA/Universal laserdisc version (Cat. #43122) has THX sound recording.
- Additional cast: Rick Worthy, Molly Morgan, Shishir Kurup, Richard Schiff, Gary Bayer, Elizabeth Gandy
- Copyright 1996 Universal City Studios, Inc. and Amblin Entertainment, Inc.