- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 9, 1997
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital - 3.0 - French
- Dolby Digital - 3.0 - Spanish
- Dolby Digital - 5.1 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Would you like it if I filled your mouth up with spiders'"
- Joshua Foss (POWERS BOOTHE) to hostage Emily McCord (WHITTNI WRIGHT).
"It's customary to offer these minor vices to people before they die."
- Joshua (POWERS BOOTHE) to Emily, as he hands her a cigarette and a glass of wine.
Entertainment Weekly - 06/14/1996
"...[A] fun, fast-paced actioner....Look[s] nearly epic." -- Rating: B+
Variety - 12/11/1995
"...A whip-cord taut actioner....SUDDEN DEATH more than delivers the goods..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/22/1995
"...SUDDEN DEATH is a treat for Jean-Claude Van Damme fans, a superior action thriller loaded with jaw-dropping stunts and special effects..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/22/1995
"...It's about the manipulation of action and special-effects sequences to create a thriller effect, and at that it's pretty good..."
In this action-packed thriller, a ruthless gang of criminals holds the Vice-President of the United States hostage at a Stanley Cup finals ice hockey game in Pittsburgh's Civic Arena. The demented leader of the group threatens to blow up the building unless the government hands over $1.7 billion.
However, the villains aren't prepared for Darren McCord, a tough fire marshal skilled in martial arts. McCord, who happens to be attending the game with his two children, struggles desperately to disconnect the ten bombs set to explode in the arena -- and rescue his own daughter, who the creeps have taken hostage.
Can he complete the mission before time runs out'
Classic Fight Scenes |
Kidnapping And Missing Persons |
Martial Arts |
Theatrical Release |
- Released theatrically in the USA December 22, 1995. The film grossed $20.3 million domestically.
- A Signature/Baldwin Cohen co-production.
- Shot on location in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Color by DeLuxe; in DTS digital sound.
- Additional credit: Tom Perry, Gary Bourgeois, Brad Sherman (sound re-recording mixers); Miguel Lopez-Castillo (set design).
- The film reunites star Jean-Claude Van Damme with his "Timecop" director, Peter Hyams.
- Soundtrack on Varese Sarabande CDs and Cassettes.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.