- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 30, 1998
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.0 Surround - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English (SDH), Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Cast and Filmmakers
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"We still haven't gotten over being left out of Desert Storm."
- Master Sgt. Ernest G. Bilko (STEVE MARTIN)
"Oh, goody, I get to play cards!"
- Bilko (STEVE MARTIN), trying to play dumb before a poker game.
"It's just ... so beautiful!"
- Bilko (STEVE MARTIN), when he sees Las Vegas.
"Sir, all I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
- Bilko (STEVE MARTIN)
USA Today - 03/29/1996
"...It's fun to see Steve Martin shake off the remains of his more domesticated comedies and get wild and crazy again..."
Variety - 04/01/1996
"...[Lynn] has a nice comic touch....It's fun to see Martin cut loose..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/29/1996
"...Right from the opening scenes of SGT. BILKO, Steve Martin convinces us of the rightness of the casting....One of the pleasures of the movie is all the little jokes hidden in the corners..."
Steve Martin steps into Phil Silvers' shoes as the smooth-talking Sgt. Bilko who has mastered the Army's catch-22's to his own benefit, turning bureaucratic obstacles into golden opportunities. That is, until his nemesis Major Thorn arrives to scrutinize Bilko's base, threatening to upset the delicate balance of casinos, under-the-table businesses and other illicit operations Bilko has set in place.
This film adaptation of the classic 1950's television series follows the wacky adventures of Sgt. Ernest Bilko, a fast-talking, likable con man, who just happens to run secret, makeshift casinos on the base.
Bilko must deal with two problems: one is Wally, the prudish, newest member of his squad -- who does not participate in Bilko's wild schemes, and basically ignores the craziness around him. But how long can Wally turn a blind eye to his surroundings'
The sergeant's other headache is his sworn enemy Maj. Thorn. The major is seeking revenge against Bilko for nearly ruining his career some time ago. Thorn not only wishes to expose the officer's gambling enterprises, he wants to steal his long-suffering girlfriend.
- Released in the USA March 29, 1996.
- Color by DeLuxe; in Stereo Surround Sound.
- Additional cast: Eric Edwards (Duane Doberman); Brian Leckner (Sam Fender) and Brian Ortiz (Luis Clemente).
- Additional credits: Angela C. Tortu and Dodi Lee Rubinstein (assistant directors) and Yvonne Garnier-Hackl (set design).
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1996 Universal City Studios, Inc.