- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 20, 1998
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Film Highlights
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast & Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 10/01/1996
"...Murphy's portrayal of Sherman Klump is surprisingly warm and touching..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/08/1996
"...A remake that improves upon the original....[A] career-reviving smash [for Murphy]....A sweet spirit..." -- Rating: A-
USA Today - 06/28/1996
"...A surprisingly funny comedy and respectable remake..."
Variety - 06/24/1996
"...Apt and comic....Combining the riotously funny and the sweetly sentimental....Miller is at his obsequious best....[Pinkett] demonstrates that her range ranks her among the most versatile young performers in movies..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 06/28/1996
"...[Murphy's] back with exuberance and energy....He's very good. And the movie succeeds in two different ways: It's sweet and good-hearted, and then again it's raucous slapstick and bathroom humor..."
Eddie Murphy stars as a grossly overweight chemistry professor in this update of the classic 1963 Jerry Lewis comedy. Eager to reinvent himself and to ease his loneliness, the professor develops a potion that magically transforms him into a lean, mean, sex machine, capable of seducing any woman in sight, but he loses his niceness along the way. Academy Award Nominations: Best Makeup.
Sweet-natured, university scientist Sherman Klump is understandably insecure about his immense weight, particularly after meeting pretty grad student Carla Purty. He is conducting experiments in the hopes of inventing a formula that will instantly make one thin. After a disastrous date with Carla (in which a vitriolic stand-up comic makes Sherman his target), the desperate researcher swallows the formula before it's been perfected.
The solution not only makes Sherman thin, it transforms him into a smug, obnoxious cad named Buddy Love. Buddy also begins dating Carla (and gets sweet revenge on that comic), but drinks more and more of the solution in an effort to erase Sherman Klump forever.
However, the formula has a major side effect: Buddy continually transforms back into the corpulent Sherman, without warning -- and at the most inopportune times...
- Released theatrically in the USA June 28, 1996.
- Color by DeLuxe; in DTS sound.
- Remake of the Jerry Lewis film "The Nutty Professor" (1963).
- Additional cast: John Ales (Jason) and Jamal Mixon (Ernie Klump Jr.).
- Additional credits: James F. Clayton Sr. and Yvonne Garnier-Hackl (set design); Kathryn Peters (set decorator).
- Rated BBFC 12 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1996 Universal City Studios, Inc.