- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 1, 2002
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Deleted Shots
- Audio Commentary: Joel Coen - Director 2. Ethan Coen - Director 3. Billy Bob Thornton - Star
- Featurette: MAKING OF MAN WHO WASN'T THERE
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interviews: Roger Deakins - Cinematographer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Galleries
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Cannes 2001 -
Best Director: Joel Coen
Film Comment - 09/01/2001
"...A fully realized, cohesive, and -- the real surprise -- completely 'serious' homage to the Hollywood genre, perhaps the best neo-noir since THE TWO JAKES..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 11/01/2001
"...One of [the Coen brothers's] most haunting and rewarding works..."
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2001
"...It's shot in clean, crisp black and white, it's elegant compositions masterfully framed and lit....The Coens are masters of the offbeat and bizarre..."
New York Times - 10/31/2001
"...It's probable that most filmmakers love making movies, but few of them express this love with such voracious, crazy ardor....THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE moves with the stately grace of the Beethoven that decorates the soundtrack..."
USA Today - 10/31/2001
"...The remarkable Thornton never hits a false note..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/09/2001
"...Succulently retro, vintage-Hollywood-goes-bizarro film noir..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/20/2002
"...So assured and perceptive in it's style, it's like a voluptuous feast..."
Film Noir |