- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 23, 2004
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 03/12/1980
"...There is something irresistible about the story....Henry Mancini's score fits neatly..."
A stingy, hard nosed bookie accepts a 10-year-old girl as security for a ten dollar bet & gets much more than he bargained for. The engaging young girl teaches him about the meaning of love.
This fourth film adaptation of Damon Runyon's short story concerns the aptly named bookie Sorrowful Jones. His life -- and his outlook -- change dramatically after a man leaves Sorrowful a little girl as collateral for a debt...and doesn't return. The sprightly child has a positive effect on her curmudgeonly guardian, adding a little sunshine to his happiness-free life. Furthermore, the lass decides to play matchmaker, for Sorrowful and a lovely widow. Will her plan to create romance work'
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional cast: Andrew Rubin (Carter); Jacqueline Hyde (Lola); Randy Herman (Clerk); Tom Pedl (Vittorio); Jessica Rains (Clerk).
- Additional credit: Ronald J. Martinez (assistant director).
- Tony Curtis, who plays Blackie in this film, portrayed Sorrowful Jones in "40 Pounds of Trouble", the third remake of "Little Miss Marker."