- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 23, 1999
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Film Highlights
- Cast and Crew Bios
- Trailers: Theatrical
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Ellen Burstyn &
Johnathon Schaech &
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"How do you merge into this thing called a couple and still keep a little part of yourself'"
- Finn Dodd (Winona Ryder), about marriage.
"I've never liked full moons; it gives people an excuse to act foolish."
- Anna (Maya Angelou).
Sight and Sound - 06/01/1996
"...A romantic tale that is intelligent..."
USA Today - 10/06/1995
"..A wealth of old-style Hollywood magic....A memory movie passionately pumped up by the latest top-notch Thomas Newman score..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 10/20/1995
"...QUILT hangs together quite nicely." -- Rating: B
Variety - 10/02/1995
"...[A] sweet, sincere tale....Cameraman Janusz Kaminski takes great delight in painterly homages that vary from American Gothic to the Norman Rockwell oeuvre..."
Finn Dodd is a 26-year-old college student who's engaged to Sam, a nice, handsome carpenter. But Finn feels very confused about many issues in her life, including her impending marriage. For help in resolving her problems, Finn pays a visit to the quilting bee--seven older female relatives and friends who create quilts together. Each sage member of the bee imparts valuable advice to Finn, recounting important memories and events of their lives.
Family Interaction |
- Theatrical release: October 6, 1995.
- Jared Leto makes his feature-film debut in HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT. Leto and costar Claire Danes also appeared together on the TV series MY SO-CALLED LIFE.
- Maya Angelou is a renowned American poet.