- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 23, 1999
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital - 3.0 English
- Dolby Digital - 3.0 French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 11/04/1987
"...Impressive....Particularly effective is the integration of cinematography on stunning locations in Zimbabwe and the powerful soundtrack of indigenous music..."
An epic drama based on the true story of newspaper editor Donald Woods' investigation into the murder of nationalist leader Steven Biko. Mistrustful of each other at first, but joined in their common desire to end apartheid, the black activist and the white liberal overcome their differences to become friends. When Biko is killed by the South African police, Woods demands justice and, as a result, finds himself and his family brutally persecuted by the South African government.
Black Heritage |
Race Relations |
Social Issues |
Tear Jerker |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by Rank; Shot in Panavision on location in Zimbabwe.
- Additional cast: Sophie Mgcina (Evalina) and Kevin McNally (Ken).
- Steve Biko, a South African political activist, died in police custody after being beaten; South African authorities tried to cover up the circumstances of his death, insisting at first that he had starved himself, and then claiming that he had deliberately injured himself. These assertions were later disproved. Biko was only 30 years old when he died.