- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 7, 2003
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 08/26/1987
Los Angeles Times - 08/24/1987
"...An across-the-board winner, an exuberant crowd-pleaser....Marin has come up with a great, simple idea and then has run with it the full, hilarious distance..."
Native-born American Rudy Robles is mistakenly deported in a U. S. Immigration Service raid. Caught without any identification or money, the non-Spanish-speaking Rudy struggles to scrape together enough cash to buy his way back across the border. Meanwhile, though, he's busy romancing an immigrant from El Salvador, dealing with the culture shock and a trying to get help from a moronic cousin.
Race Relations |
- Based on Cheech Marin's song, "Born in East L.A.," a parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A."
- "Born in East L.A." was Cheech's first effort after splitting with Tommy Chong.
- Filmed in CFI Color, Prints by Deluxe.
- Some television cuts of the film run 93 minutes, 6 minutes longer than other prints. The New York Times listed the running time as 98 minutes.