- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 20 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 13, 2009
- Originally Released: 1954
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- PCM Mono - English
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times -
"...By far the most famous movie monster of the '50s..."
USA Today - 10/26/2004
"An obvious influence on JAWS' opening scene, this sexually suggestive chiller deals with an Amazonian scientific expedition that discovers a scaly Gill Man."
A research team digging in the Amazon comes across the fossilized hand of a human fish creature. That night, the creature emerges from the swamp to kill. So begins one of the more recognizable classics of the science fiction and horror genres. Shot originally in 3-D, this has been a late-night TV hit for decades. The hand makes its way back to the oceanographic institute and soon conscientious scientist David Reed (Richard Carlson), greedy scientist Mark (Richard Cunha) and the beautiful girl they fight over, Kay (Julia Adams) are heading up the Amazon to find more fossils. Instead, of course, they run into the real thing, and terror begins. While Mark and David fight over what to do next, the creature falls in love with Kay, and makes plans of his own. Island diver Ricou Browning plays the creature in the spectacular underwater scenes, the highlight being a beautifully creepy scene of Kay going for a swim, while the smitten creature swims along below her, transfixed. The pounding, horrific score is credited to conductor Joseph Gerhsenson but was actually written by a team of composers, including Henry Mancini.
- Originally released in 3-D.
- One of the first films to use sophisticated underwater footage. The underwater photography by Charles S. Welbourne was considered state-of-the-art at the time of the film's release.
- Joseph Gershenson's score became a standard on the TV series "Creature Features."
- Fred Frank was the assistant director; Joan St. Oegger was the hairstylist.
- Additional cast: Bernie Gozier (Zee) and Henry Escalante (Henry).