Charles Mingus Three Or Four Shades of Blue / Cumbia & Jazz Fusion (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Miles Davis ~ Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Volume 2 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Mingus Dynasty ~ Only The Best of Mingus Dynasty (7-CD) ~ $58.97 (Save 22%)
- by Charles Mingus ~ Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop ~ $17.08
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: December 19, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic SD 1700 (1977)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic SD 8801 (1978)
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Better Git Hit In Your Soul
- 2.Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
- 3.Noddin Ya Head Blues
- 4.Three Or Four Shades Of Blues
- 5.Nobody Knows
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Cumbia & Jazz Fusion
- 2.Music For "Todo Modo"
Personnel: Charles Mingus (vocals); Larry Coryell, Philip Catherine, John Scofield (guitar); Mauricio Smith (flute, piccolo, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Gary Anderson (bass clarinet, e flat clarinet); Roberto Laneri (bass clarinet); Anastasio DelBono (oboe, English horn); Paul Jeffrey (oboe, tenor saxophone); Gene Scholtes, Pasquale Sabatelli (bassoon); Quarto Maltoni, Sonny Fortune (alto saxophone); Ricky Ford (tenor saxophone); Jack Walrath (trumpet); Jimmy Knepper (trombone, bass trombone); Dino Piana (trombone); Danny Mixon (piano, organ); Bob Neloms, Jimmy Rowles (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums); Alfredo "Corral" Ramirez, Daniel Gonzales, Ray Mantilla (congas).
Audio Remixers: Don Puluse; Aurelio Rossitto; Bobby Warner; Carmine Rubino.
Recording information: Atlantic Studios, NY, NY (03/31/1976-03/10/1977); Dirmaphon Studio, Rome, Italy (03/31/1976-03/10/1977).
Photographer: Susan Graham.
Arrangers: Paul Jeffrey ; Charles Mingus.
These two late period Charles Mingus recordings are a mixed bag. While the second disc, Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, is a wonderfully successful undertaking featuring two extended pieces originally composed for cinematic soundtracks, Three or Four Shades of Blue showcases a rather wooly large ensemble with electric and acoustic guitars -- by Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine no less -- to mixed effect. The two long pieces on disc two, recorded in 1978 feature some fine group play with tenor saxophonist Ricky Ford, trumpeter Jack Walrath (both of whom appear on the previous album as well), trombonist Jimmy Knepper, and drummer Dannie Richmond. Also, despite the serial nature of the music on Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, it stands on its own with intricate composition and controlled dynamics, texture, and color. This is one of the final Mingus dates, and one of the most underappreciated. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 42,062
- UPC: 090431784020
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- The Ad-Libs Ad-Libs & Friends (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3