- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 13, 1999
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Walt Disney Video
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada) Encoding
Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Marcia Gay Harden,
"Weird Al" Yankovic &
Rick Friedberg &
Director of Photography:
John R. Leonetti
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Miss Cheevus, is the director available'" -- Dick Steele (LESLIE NIELSEN), to Miss Cheevus (MARCIA GAY HARDEN)
"No, he's married."
- Miss Cheevus, in response.
New York Times - 05/24/1996
"...[Nielsen] brings the same spirit of deadpan comic earnestness to the role that he brought to his intrepid police lieutenant in the NAKED GUN series..."
In this spoof of effects-heavy action films and James Bond thrillers, Nielsen plays Agent WD-40, who gets called back into duty when a madman thought to have been killed 15 years earlier resurfaces.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
Here's the outrageous comedy hit that blends high-tech adventure with high-spirited humor for nonstop laughs! Big-screen funnyman Leslie Nielsen (NAKED GUN 33 1/3, AIRPLANE!) is the hilarious Agent WD-40, lured back into service by The Agency. Teamed with the sexy agent 3.14 (Nicollette Sheridan -- BEVERLY HILLS NINJA), he's sent on his hardest mission ever ... to stop the evil General Rancor (Andy Griffith -- TV's MATLOCK) before he destroys the world! With high-flying laughs and high-voltage action, SPY HARD is the wackily entertaining comedy hit that has audiences everywhere howling!
As the film's title suggests, "Spy Hard" is an all-out spoof of action and espionage films, in the same vein as the "Airplane" and "Naked Gun" movies. As with those films, the plot (about an armless madman attempting to takeover the world) merely provides an excuse for non-stop sight gags, puns, celebrity cameos and of course, film parodies. Some of the movies spoofed include "Speed," "Mission: Impossible," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Pulp Fiction," and even "Sister Act."
- Released theatrically in the USA May 24, 1996.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional cast: John Ales (Kabul), Carlos Lauchu (Slice), and Stephanie Romanov (Victoria/Barbara Dahl).
- Additional credit: E.C. Chen (set decorator).
- Director Rick Friedberg directed Leslie Nielsen's comedic commercials for Dollar Rent A Car. Two of the screenwriters are the director's 24-year-old son Jason, and his college roommate.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 50 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 91,266
- UPC: 717951002419
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item