Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 15, 2010
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/24/1990
"...An ambitious and self-consciously old-fashioned film....Terrific effects..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/14/1995
"...A hilarious homage to comic-book superheroes..." -- Rating: B+
Los Angeles Times - 08/24/1990
"...[The film] successfully captures the graphic look, rhythm and style of the super-hero books....DARKMAN somehow stays in a comic-book universe: a world of satire and swoony self-caricature..."
Wall Street Journal - 05/29/2009
"An elegant admixture of horror and humor, it stars Liam Neeson as Peyton Westlake, a disfigured scientific genius who becomes the tormented antihero of the title."
Premiere - 06/14/2010
3.5 stars out of 4 -- "A campy superhero flick that could only be made by Sam Raimi. It's fun, it's gruesome, it's tacky, and it's the ideal midnight movie."
Film Comment - 02/28/2014
"DARKMAN was prescient in more ways than one, for it gave star Liam Neeson his first really meaty action role of the sort that now constitute his entire career."
A scientist disfigured by a gang of sadistic criminals develops a mask-like second skin which allows him to change identities. Peyton Westlake, his face hidden behind bandages, is transformed into the Darkman, a lonely psycho who prowls the streets of Los Angeles by night. Disguised as different characters, the Darkman seeks out the men who ruined him and exacts brutal revenge.
Cult Film |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in DeLuxe color.
- Additional cast: Nelson Mashita (Yakitito); Jesse Lawrence Ferguson (Eddie Black); Rafael H. Robledo (Rudy Guzman); Danny Hicks (Skip); Nicholas Worth (Pauly)
- Visual effects miniature sequences by 4-Ward Productions; set design by George Suhayda, and Ginni Barr.