- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 17, 1999
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 02/11/1994
"...Manage[s] to tackle real issues..."
Variety - 10/04/1993
"...Attractive leads....[The] technical crew and cast convincingly capture the football scenes and college environs..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/24/1993
"...[Ward] makes all the pieces fit, and the on-field action looks convincing....The movie's human scenes are appealing..."
Joe Kane has everything: good looks, a spot on a winning college football team and a shot at the Heisman Trophy. He also has a severe alcohol problem and a wild streak that jeopardizes his future in the game. Meanwhile, Joe's friend Darnell Jefferson is struggling with classes and wants a place on the first string team, as well as another player's girlfriend.
"The Program" covers the dangerous practices -- steroid abuse, alcoholism, payoffs and academic plagerism -- that influence college athletes. As his players battle their demons off the field, Coach Winters attempts to keep his team on track until the final game.
Campus Life |
Love Story |
- Original aspect ratio of 1.85:1.
- The Walt Disney Company deleted a scene from this film where the football players laid on a busy highway to prove their toughness, after several young men were injured or killed imitating the stunt. These real-life incidents produced a flurry of negative publicity relating to the more generalized debate of the effect of violent images on society. Lost in the firestorm were reports that the stunt was practiced by teens across the country before the release of the film.
- Copyright Touchstone Pictures and The Samuel Goldwyn Company.