- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 2, 1997
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'll tell you what I think I am.... I'm what everybody can be."
- George Malley (JOHN TRAVOLTA)
Variety - 06/24/1996
"...[Travolta gives] a sympathetic performance....The grinning, straightforward appeal is still very much there....Sedgwick is classy..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 07/03/1996
"...This is a good role for Travolta, who has an underlying sweetness and enthusiasm that is well-used here..."
A simple, small-town garage mechanic suddenly develops extraordinary intelligence--including telekinetic powers and an unquenchable thirst for knowledge--which affects his life in unexpected ways. The government wants to investigate him, scientists want to study him, and the townspeople become afraid of him, to the point of ostracism. With the love and support of a young single mother, he is finally able to accept his lot in life.
In a small town an average Joe named George Malley, becomes a different man when he is struck by a bright streak of light on his 37th birthday. George is suddenly a genius, suddenly able to play chess, speak a new language, and read numerous books in a day, amongst other abilities. George is also endowed with telekinetic powers, able to move objects with his mind.
Although George's sweet personality remains the same throughout all this, his newfound abilities breed jealousy and insecurity amongst some of his ne'er-do-well buddies. Furthermore, it appears that George's immense intelligence could actually be harming him physically -- and might even shorten his life.
- Released theatrically in the USA July 3, 1996.
- Color by Foto-Kem; prints by Technicolor; in Panavision widescreen.
- Additional cast: Michael Milhoan (Jimmy); Ashley Buccille (Glory); Elisabeth Nunziato (Ella).
- Songs include:
"Crazy Love," performed by Aaron Neville
"Change the World," performed by Eric Clapton
"I Have the Touch," performed by Peter Gabriel
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.