Duke Ellington The Great Paris Concert (2-CD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD 2-304 (1973)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released by Atlantic in 1973, The Great Paris Concert is one of the finest jazz concerts ever recorded. This is your chance to hear the great Duke Ellington in the environment that made him famous: live and unedited. From beginning to end, this fantastic live concert showcases the legendary bandleader and his band's enormous talent.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Kinda Dukish
- 2.Rockin' In Rhythm
- 3.On The Sunny Side Of The Street
- 4.The Star-Crossed Lovers
- 5.All Of Me
- 6.Theme From "Asphalt Jungle"
- 7.Concerto For Cootie
- 8.Tutti For Cootie
- 9.Suite Thursday - Misfit Blues
- 10.Suite Thursday - Schwiphti
- 11.Suite Thursday - Zweet Zurzday
- 12.Suite Thursday - Lay-By
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.The Eighth Veil
- 3.Rose Of The Rio Grande
- 4.Cop Out
- 6.Jam With Sam
- 7.Happy-Go-Lucky Local
- 8.Tone Parallel To Harlem
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Ray Nance (violin, cornet); Harry Carney (clarinet, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Cootie Williams, Roy Burrowes, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Lawrence Brown , Chuck Connors, Buster Cooper (trombone); Ernie Shepard (double bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Liner Note Author: Stanley Dance.
As Stanley Dance's detailed and informative liner notes clarify, there were actually four Paris concerts from which this material was drawn. There's an abundance of material on this two-CD set, 30 cuts in all, and it's a luxurious trip through the Duke's extensive repertoire. Ellington was a pro at balancing his audience's desire to hear his classics with his own need to continue composing and presenting new material. So while we get recent (for 1963) creations like "Suite Thursday" and "Theme From The Asphalt Jungle'" we also get to hear the band travel back 30 years or more to reprise some of the original "jungle sound" compositions like "Black And Tan Fantasy," "Creole Love Call" and "The Mooche." This particular incarnation of Ellingtonians is alive and kicking. Duke can be heard hollering encouragement to his men from behind the piano, flirting with the audience (he's not going to tell them the title of the next piece, he explains, because "you're so hip"), and announcing such featured performers as Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams and Paul Gonsalves. All this, and great sound quality to boot.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 47,879
- UPC: 090431781821
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~
$10.38 Super Savings
"America Worships" Series White As Snow (CD) ~
79¢ Super Savings
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $3.98 CYBER SALE
- "The Sound Of..." Series Tropical Rainforest (CD) ~ 79¢ CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $8.82 CYBER SALE
!!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~
$15.95 Super Savings
!!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~
$6 Super Savings
"A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~
$7.49 Super Savings
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE
- 10 Years The Autumn Effect (CD) ~ $6.92 CYBER SALE