- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 20, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Judy Tipp. I'm the enema queen."
- Judy (Bullock) introduces herself to Charlie (Neeson).
Premiere - 07/01/2000
"...[Reminiscent] of a Preston Sturges screwball classic....[A] frequently hilarious charmer..." -- 3 out of 5 stars
Total Film - 12/01/2000
"...Liam Neeson is ideally cast....Oliver Platt's in-your-face mobster is unfailingly enjoyable..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2000
"...Bullock produced GUN SHY and her wholesome persona pervades the film..."
Box Office - 04/01/2000
"...Neeson is quite credible....It's an enjoyable and competent piece of work..."
Writer-director Eric Blakeney tells the darkly comic tale of Charlie Mayough (Liam Neeson), an undercover DEA agent who narrowly escapes death at the hands of mobsters. He only wants to retire, but reluctantly agrees to close this last case. His stress leads him to group therapy, where he befriends a group of unhappy men who are dealing with their own, more mundane, job stress. Charlie also suffers from gastrointestinal problems, and while receiving a barium enema, he meets, and falls for, the quirky nurse (Sandra Bullock) who performs the unpleasant procedure. Meanwhile, his final case brings him into contact with Fulvio Nesstra (Oliver Platt, in an over-the-top comic performance), an insanely violent mobster with a surprisingly tender side. Fulvio's secret passion is his failing tomato garden. GUN SHY breaks down the typical undercover agent yarn to uncover its psychological, and sometimes scatological, roots. Blakeney takes the outline of a typical undercover agent drama (such as the superb DONNIE BRASCO) and adds a heavy dose of quirky humor. Platt is very funny. Bullock, in a supporting role, is charming as usual. And Neeson delivers a strong performance that balances the wackiness of the script with just the right degree of gravity.
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: February 4, 2000
- Writer-director Blakeney once wrote for the television series, BAYWATCH.
- Mitch Pileggi (Halvenshaw) is best known for playing Skinner on the television series, THE X FILES.
- Mary McCormack (Gloria Nesstra) played Alison Stern, Howard Stern's long-suffering wife, in PRIVATE PARTS.
- Andrew Lauer (Jason Cane) was once a celebrity contestant on the E! cable network game show, SEARCH PARTY.
- Producer-actor Sandra Bullock (Judy Tipp) also executive produced the film's soundtrack album.
- Paul Ben-Victor played Moe Howard in the TV movie, THE THREE STOOGES.