Dee Dee Bridgewater Just Family / Bad For Me
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Dee Dee Bridgewater ~ Eleanora Fagan 1915-1959: To Billie with Love from Dee Dee ~ $12.58
- by George Benson / Al Jarreau ~ Givin' It Up ~ $9.44
- by Dee Dee Bridgewater ~ Only The Best of Dee Dee Bridgewater (3-CD) ~ $32.97 (Save 23%)
Products with a similar style:
- Elvin Jones And Then Again / Midnight Walk (CD) ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Elektra Elektra 755962719-2 (1978)
- Original Album #2: Elektra Elektra 6E-188 (1979)
Description by OLDIES.com:
With a career that has spanned five decades, Dee Dee Bridgewater has indeed proven herself to be one of the premier jazz singers of her generation. Originally released in 1978 by Elektra, Just Family marks a period when Bridgewater was exploring R&B. This is a fantastic album that showcases her unbelievable talent and features other legends such as Chuck Corea, George Duke, and Bobby Lyle. Bad For Me was originally released by Elektra in 1979 and features the title track, which was a hit single. The album also was a Top 30 smash in 1979 on Billboard's Jazz Albums Chart.
- 1.Just Family
- 2.Maybe Today
- 3.Children Are The Spirit (Of The World)
- 4.Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
- 5.Sweet Rain
- 6.Open Up Your Eyes
- 7.Night Moves
- 8.Thank The Day (You Walked Into My Life)
- 9.Melody Maker
- 10.Bad For Me
- 11.Back Of Your Mind
- 12.For The Girls
- 13.Love Won't Let Me Go
- 15.It's The Falling In Love
- 16.Tequila Mockingbird
- 17.Don't Say It (If You Don't Mean It)
- 18.Is This What Feeling Gets?
2 LPs on 1 CD: JUST FAMILY (1978) / BAD FOR ME (1979).
Personnel: Dee Dee Bridgewater (vocals, background vocals); Dee Dee Bridgewater; George Duke (vocals, Fender Rhodes piano, keyboards, synthesizer, bass synthesizer); Jose James, Lynn Davis (vocals); Ray Gomez, Roland Bautista (guitar); Carole Mukogawa, James Getzoff, Marvin Limonick, Robert L. Adock, Jorge G. DeBarrio, Joy Lyle, Murray Adler, Judy Perettt, Robert Konrad, Pamela Goldsmith, Janet Lakatos, Gayle Levant, William Kurash, Frederick Seykora (strings); Lawrence Williams (tenor saxophone); Fred Jackson (baritone saxophone); Jerry Hey (trumpet, flugelhorn); Rahm Lee, Bobby Bryant (trumpet); Richard Perissi (French horn); Louis Sattersfield, George Bohanon, William Frank "Bill" Reichenbach Jr. (trombone); Maurice Spears (bass trombone); Bobby Lyle (grand piano, electric piano, Fender Rhodes piano, keyboards, mini-Moog synthesizer); Larry Dunn (Fender Rhodes piano); Abraham Laboriel, Sr., Alphonso Johnson , Stanley Clarke (bass guitar); Norman Farrington, Ricky Lawson (drums); Paulinho Da Costa, Sheila Escovedo (percussion); Becky Lopez, Petsye Powell, Carolyn Dennis, Jim Gilstrap (background vocals); David T. Walker (guitar); Scarlet Rivera (violin); Greg Phillinganes (Fender Rhodes piano); Ronnie Foster (keyboards); Harvey Mason, Sr. , Leon "Ndugu" Chancler (drums); Airto Moreira (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Dee Dee Bridgewater.
Photographer: Claude Mougin.
Arranger: George Duke.
Even though Just Family was produced by Stanley Clarke and employs a lot of musicians who had jazz backgrounds -- including Chick Corea, George Duke, Airto Moreira, and Bobby Lyle -- this is an R&B album first and foremost. Dee Dee Bridgewater would return to jazz in a major way in the 1980s, but in the late 1970s, she was emphasizing adult-oriented R&B and going after fans of artists like Phyllis Hyman and Minnie Riperton. The strongest tracks on this LP, which was recorded when Bridgewater was 27, range from the playful title song and the Earth, Wind & Fire-ish "Children Are the Spirit (Of the World)" to the dreamy "Sweet Rain" and an emotional cover of Elton John's "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word." Also noteworthy is the Brazilian-influenced "Night Moves," a Michael Franks tune. Those who know Bridgewater for her hard-swinging jazz CDs of the 1980s and 1990s should be warned that Just Family isn't a jazz album at all. It must be judged by R&B standards, not jazz standards -- and from an R&B standpoint, Just Family is generally decent, if unspectacular and uneven. ~ Alex Henderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,400
- UPC: 090431780220
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3