Paul Desmond First Place Again
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 25, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Warner Bros. 1356 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
An early release from jazz sax legend, Paul Desmond, First Place Again features Jim Hall on guitar, Percy Heath on bass and Connie Kay on drums. Originally released in 1960 by Warner Bros., the album features the band's take on such classics as "I Get a Kick Out of You" and Dizzy Gillespie's "You Go To My Head."
- 1.I Get A Kick Out Of You
- 2.For All We Know
- 3.Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West
- 5.You Go To My Head
- 6.East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
- 7.Time After Time
Personnel includes: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Personnel: Paul Desmond (saxophone, alto saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Percy Heath (upright bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Liner Note Author: George Avakian.
Recording information: New York, NY (09/05/1959-09/07/1959).
The title of this set by alto saxophonist Paul Desmond refers to his having placed first once again in the alto chair in the Downbeat poll. Released in 1959, First Place Again is the result of an unexpected gathering of the rhythm section of the Modern Jazz Quartet: Percy Heath and Connie Kay, and Jimmy Giuffre 3 guitarist Jim Hall. The four musicians were all unexpectedly at home in New York and took full advantage of cheap, after-hours recording studio time to play out this set of standards and a pair of newer tunes, John Lewis' great blues, "Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West," and "East of the Sun (and West Of The Moon)," from a Princeton University theater work. The rest, including a fine reading of "Greensleeves," which is short and tight here, Cole Porter's "I Get a Kick out of You," J. Fred Coots' "For All We Known," "You Got to My Head" -- another Coots' tune -- and Sammy Cahn's "Time After Time," are done with an airy, amiable vibe, especially the work between Hall and the rhythm section, which is full of counterpoint and sharp accents. Desmond, of course, being at that time the king of melodic improvisation on the alto -- with the possible exception of Art Pepper's ascendancy -- is in fine form. His whimsical, breathy, dry tone is sharp, on the spot, and full of ideas as he quotes from a vast number of tunes. This is a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxed set if ultimately unmemorable. [Though the album was first released under the title First Place Again, it was reissued by the Discovery label in 1986 under the title East of the Sun. The track listing was the same, though the running oder was shuffled.] ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,928
- UPC: 090431777824
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3