Bobby Short Live At Cafe Carlyle
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.49 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 8, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD 2-609 (1974)
Description by OLDIES.com:
This CD reissue of a 1974 Atlantic release features Bobby Short on piano and vocals, Beverly Peer on bass and Richard Sheridan on drums. Recorded live in performance at the Cafe Carlyle on December 7 & 8, 1973.
- 1.Real Live Girl
- 2.Miss Brown To You
- 3.On The Sunny Side Of The Street
- 4.Mister And Missus Fetch
- 5.Losing My Mind
- 6.Losing My Mind (Reprise)
- 7.All Of You
- 8.Let's Misbehave
- 10.I Get A Kick Out Of You
- 11.New Orleans Hop Scop Blues
- 12.Medley: Four Walls & Roller Coaster Blues
- 13.Send In The Clowns
- 14.When A Man Loves A Woman
- 15.Ill Wind
- 16.Miss Otis Regrets
- 17.It's Not You
- 18.I Happen To Like New york
- 19.One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
- 20.As Time Goes By
- 21.I've Got The World On A String
- 22.Medley: If I Had A Talking Picture Of You, I'm A Dreamer & Turn On The Heat
- 23.For All We Know
- 24.I Like The Likes Of You
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Beverly Peer (bass); Richard Sheridan (drums).
Recorded at the Cafe Carlyle, New York on December 7 & 8 , 1973. Includes liner notes by Brendan Gill.
Contains 2 LPs on 1 CD.
Ultradiscs are mastered from the original master tapes using Mobile Fidelity's proprietary mastering technique, then plated with 24 karat gold and housed in a stress-resistant lift-lock jewel case.
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Bobby Short; Beverly Peer (bass instrument); Richard Sheridan (drums).
Audio Mixer: Lewis Hahn.
Recording information: Caf‚ Carlyle (12/07/1973-12/08/1973); The Cafe Carlyle (12/07/1973-12/08/1973).
Photographers: Frank Moscati; Jim Cummins.
Arranger: Bobby Short.
After springing for three double-LP songbook albums in three years devoted to Cole Porter, No‰l Coward, and George Gershwin, Atlantic Records tracked Bobby Short to his lair for a fourth two-disc collection in December 1973, setting up recording equipment in the tiny confines of the Cafe Carlyle where Short had maintained a permanent residency since 1968. There, over two nights, the tapes picked up a typical selection of standards by Porter, Harold Arlen, Vernon Duke, and other interwar songwriting masters, plus some more recent material, played by Short's piano trio, which also featured Beverly Peer on bass and Richard Sheridan on drums. The singer/pianist's talent lay in mixing his spirited readings of pop standards like "On the Sunny Side of the Street" and "I Get a Kick Out of You" with sophisticated, amusing fare like "Miss Otis Regrets," earthy blues pronouncements like "New Orleans Hop Scop Blues," and the cream of contemporary Broadway. This last was represented by several selections by Broadway's leading songwriter of the early '70s, Stephen Sondheim. Short borrowed "Sorry-Grateful" from Company, "Losing My Mind" from Follies, and "Send in the Clowns" from A Little Night Music. In each case, these were ballads of romantic frustration, and Short treated them reverently, perhaps a bit too reverently. Thankfully, the listener was never far from a change of mood on this album, making for a full evening that mixed uptown with down-home, all delivered by a smiling man in a tuxedo. Given the live setting, however, the editors might have been advised to include more spoken remarks and to refrain from fading the sound out after every track. As it was, most of the time, Live at the Caf‚ Carlyle came off as a regular studio album that happened to have applause rather than evoking the spontaneous and seamless feel of a live album. [In 2006, Collectables Records reissued Live at the Caf‚ Carlyle as a single-disc CD.) ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,531
- UPC: 090431777121
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
Pop Vocal: Cabaret Music Categories:
- Peter Allen The Very Best of The Boy From Down Under (CD) ~ $9.72 LABOR DAY
- Antony & The Johnsons Turning (CD + DVD) ~ $17.70 LABOR DAY
- Charles Aznavour Aznavour Live: Palais des Congres 97/98 (2-CD) ~ $24.65 LABOR DAY
- Charles Aznavour Grandes Exitos de Charles Aznavour (CD) ~ $11.12 LABOR DAY
- Charles Aznavour Greatest Golden Hits (CD) ~ $11.68