- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 22, 2009
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary By: Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman
- Pavel Chekov's Screen Moments
- The Three-Picture Saga
- Star Trek For A Cause
- Starfleet Academy: The Whale Probe
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Back in the '60s he was part of the Free Speech Movement at Berkeley -- I think he did a little too much LDS" [sic]
- Kirk (William Shatner) making excuses for Spock's (Leonard Nimoy) odd behavior.
"I may have carried your soul, but I sure couldn't fill your shoes."
- Dr. "Bones" McCoy (DeForest Kelley) to Spock (Leonard Nimoy).
"To hunt a race to extinction is not logical."
- Spock (Leonard Nimoy)
Rolling Stone - 01/09/1992
"...Relevant, funny and touching....A stirring adventure..."
New York Times - 11/26/1986
"...There's something rather touching about the sight of that same old Enterprise crew on the streets of San Francisco....[Nimoy's] sincerity is unmistakable, and it counts for a lot..."
"...[This] excursion is warmer, wittier, more socially relevant and truer to its tv origins than prior odysseys....[The] technical credits are terrific..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/26/1986
"...It has an irresistibly sure touch, an easy command of its audience. It hits the right buttons, strikes the right chords, plays with our expectations with the right blend of savvy, guile and imagination..."
Total Film - 07/01/2003
"...THE VOYAGE HOME eschews the previous films' heavy themes and puts light laughs centre stage..."
A contemporary Marine biologist becomes involved with Kirk and crew as they undertake a vital mission into Earth's past to save a species whose extinction poses a threat to the very existence of the planet. The Directors' Series version includes outtakes and commentary by director Leonard Nimoy.
Space Exploration |
Space Opera |
- Issued on laserdisc as part of the "Director's Series". This version features narration by director Leonard Nimoy, revealing background information about the making of the film, discussion of its special effects sequences, and selected outtakes -- all followed by the presentation of the full-length film.
- Estimated budget: $22 million.
- Color by Technicolor. Some release prints were blown up to 70mm. Released in the Dolby Spectral Sound process.
- Locations included: San Francisco, CA; Will Rogers State Park (in Los Angeles, CA); Monterey Bay Aquarium (in Monterey, CA); and the North Island Naval Base (in San Diego, CA)
- Re-released on video in the United States in 1991 to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the first "Star Trek" episode.
- Additional credits include: Gene Roddenberry (Executive Consultant); Dan Curry and Harry Moreau (Title Design); Walt Conti (Whale Design/Whale Project Supervisor); Mike Gleason (Visual Effects Editor); Chris Evans (Matte Painting Supervisor); Ellen Lichtwardt (Animation Supervisor); Craig Barron (Matte Photography Supervisor); New York Zoological Society and Humpback Whale Fund (Humpback Whale Sounds); Department of the Navy, United States Coast Guard, and Rear Admiral Charles Reynolds McGrail (Production Assistance)
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Shot in Panavision.