- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: November 6, 2007
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 10/07/1981
"...An absorbing drama....A gutsy, fascinating and largely magnificent performance by Jacqueline Bisset..."
New York Times - 10/09/1981
"...Splashy....Oh, those cocktail parties!..."
The last film by legendary director George Cukor, RICH AND FAMOUS is a sly and sensitive look at the friendship of two successful women writers. Liz Hamilton (Jacqueline Bisset) has become a member of New York's literary establishment, while Merry Noel Blake (Candice Bergen), a best-selling pop novelist, lives in Malibu. Over the course of 20 years, their two lives intertwine into one sometimes rosy, sometimes stingingly barbed strand.
Notable for its double female lead, RICH AND FAMOUS offered Bisset and Bergen the kind of strong central roles still difficult for women to find in 1981. The actresses have a natural rapport that is evident in every frame, and Bisset in particular shines in a career-defining performance. RICH AND FAMOUS provided a fitting swan song for Cukor, who in earlier films coaxed mesmerizing performances from many of the greatest women ever to grace a Hollywood screen, including Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn, Judy Garland, and Joan Crawford. Meg Ryan, in her film debut, adds her own name to the list of Cukor starlets with a winning performance as Merry's teenage daughter.
A sensitive film dealing with the long standing friendship of two women. When one of them achieves sudden success, jealousy and its complications threaten their relationship.
- This is a remake of the 1943 film "Old Acquaintance", starring Miriam Hopkins and Bette Davis, which was also based on Van Druten's play.
- Robert Mulligan was hired to direct initially. Only a few days into production, he was replaced by 82-year-old Hollywood legend George Cukor. Reportedly, none of Mulligan's work made it into the final film.
- "Rich and Famous" turned out to be Cukor's last feature film as a director; he died in 1983.
- Meg Ryan's film debut.