- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 3, 2009
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 12/17/1987
"...Magnificent....A note of triumph [for John Huston]....[Anjelica] Huston is splendid..."
New York Times - 12/27/1987
Included in the New York Times "10 Best Films of 1987"
Variety - 09/02/1987
"...A well-crafted miniature....It could hardly be more apt as a parting gesture from a lively, very smart old artist..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/17/1987
"...A great part of the joy of the film is the cast and the rightness of their speech, their carriage, their wonderful Irish faces..."
In this adaptation of the James Joyce short story, which takes place at an annual New Years Eve party in Dublin in 1904, Gretta Conroy, after hearing an old and sad ballad sung by one of the guests, confesses to her husband Gabriel of a long ago love affair she still remembers. This revelation causes Gabriel to question matters of life and death... and moves him to lament the lack of such passion in his own life.
Love Triangle |
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Shot in Ireland and California; Color by Fotokem.
- John Huston has the unusual distinction of being the only director who has directed both his father, Walter Huston, and his daughter, Anjelica, in Oscar-winning performances.
- John Huston's last directorial effort. He died August 27, 1987, at the age of 81. In this film, Huston worked with his son Tony, who wrote the screenplay adaptation of Joyce's short story, and his daughter Anjelica, who stars as Gretta Conroy.
- Won the 1987 National Society of Film Critics award for best picture.