Ahmad Jamal Pittsburgh
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$7.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.80 (45% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ahmad Jamal ~ The Awakening ~ $13.48
Products with a similar style:
- Cal Tjader / Mary Stallings Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings (CD) ~ $9.88
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $16.55
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD 82029 (1990)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A sublime release from legendary jazzman Ahmad Jamal; this album was a tribute to both his mother as well as to his hometown of Pittsburgh. Originally released by Atlantic in 1990, the album was well received by both critics and the general public climbing all the way to #5 on the Billboard Jazz Albums chart.
- 4.Foolish Ways
- 7.Fly Away
- 8.Apple Avenue
Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano), James Cammack (bass), David Bowler (drums).
Recorded at Universal Studios, Chicago, Illinois.
All songs written by Ahmad Jamal except "Mellowdrama" (Jimmy Heath).
Personnel: Ahmad Jamal (piano); Ahmad Jamal; David Bowler (drums).
Audio Mixer: Bob Bennett.
Liner Note Author: Ahmad Jamal.
Recording information: Universal Studios, Chicago, IL.
On Pittsburgh, an ambitious tribute to his late mother and his hometown, Ahmad Jamal enlists the help of Chicago-based arranger Richard Evans -- a more familiar presence in soul-jazz's '60s heyday than in 1989, alas -- to decorate five of his compositions and Jimmy Heath's "Mellowdrama," while soloing alone on two others. While Jamal can summon forth all of the bravura resources of his piano technique on pieces like "Foolish Ways" and "Divertimento," he often chooses economy instead, relying on the trademark ostinatos of his rhythm section (James Cammack on bass; David Bowler on drums) for momentum. Evans' orchestrations, always elegant and lean, fit like gloves onto Jamal's compositions, enhancing rather than intruding, often following the contours of the melodic lines. This CD has captured both the character and the shaping hand of Jamal and the distinct sound of Evans, and they are a perfect match in this at-times-exquisite piece of work. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,093
- UPC: 090431772126
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY