- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: July 9, 2002
- Originally Released: 1978
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Mono - French
- Subtitles - English, French, Portuguese, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: John Milius - Director
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 05/24/1978
"...[The surfing scenes] are exciting....The camera is placed almost inside the waves..."
Total Film - 11/01/2003
"...A cult fave....A mature ode to lost youth..."
Coming Of Age |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: 1978
- Filming locations: California and Hawaii.
- BIG WEDNESDAY takes place in five acts: South Swell (summer 1962), West Swell (1965), North Swell (summer 1968), Great Swell (spring 1974), and finally Big Wednesday (1977).
- BIG WEDNESDAY was released the same year as THE DEER HUNTER (which looked at the Vietnam war through the eyes of a group of friends in Pennsylvania), and its political content was amplified by the comparison between the two films.
- There is rumored to be an R-rated version of the film, never shown in the U.S., from which 8 minutes of rescue scenes and dialogue between Sally and Bear were cut in order to achieve a PG rating.