Chicago Piano, Volume 1
|You Save:||$4.54 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Blind Lemon Jefferson Penitentiary Blues - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $6.49 (Save 50%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD 7229 (1972)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Recorded just weeks before Jimmy Yancey's death, this album showcases this immense blues talent in his finest form. Originally released by Atlantic in 1972, this album is made up almost entirely of original songs.
- 1.Mournful Blues
- 2.Yancey Special
- 3.How Long Blues
- 4.Yancey's Bugle Call
- 5.35Th And Dearborn
- 6.Shave 'Em Dry
- 7.Salute To Pinetop
- 8.Blues For Albert
- 9.Yancey Special (2nd Version)
- 10.Make Me A Pallet On The Floor
- 11.Four O'Clock Blues
- 12.Monkey Woman Blues
- 13.Santa Fe Blues
- 14.How Long Blues
Personnel: Mama Yancey (vocals); Jimmy Yancey (piano); Israel Crosby (bass).
Reissue producer: Yves Beauvais.
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois on July 18, 1951. Includes liner notes by Jerry Wexler and original release liner notes by Bruce Bastin. Originally released on PURE BLUES, Atlantic (1283), except for tracks 8 & 9, Atlantic
singles (134 and 130 respectively). All tracks were previously released on (Atlantic SD 7229).
Digitally remastered by Stephen Innocenzi (December, 1991, Atlantic Studios, New York).
All songs written or co-written by Jimmy Yancey and Mama Yancey, except "Yancey Special" (Meade Lux Lewis/Andy Razaf) and "Make Me A Pallet On The Floor" (traditional).
CHICAGO PIANO, VOL. 1 is part of Atlantic's "Remasters" series.
Liner Note Author: Bruce Bastin.
Jimmy Yancey was one of the pioneer boogie-woogie pianists, but unlike many of the other pacesetters, he had a gentle and thoughtful style that also crossed over into the blues. This Atlantic LP from 1972 contains Yancey's final recordings, cut just eight weeks before his death from diabetes. The pianist is in fine form on these introspective and often emotional performances which, with the exception of Meade "Lux" Lewis' "Yancey Special" and the traditional "Make Me a Pallet on the Floor," are comprised entirely of Yancey's originals. His wife, Mama Yancey, takes five memorable vocals on this memorable set of classic blues. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,435
- UPC: 090431770221
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Johnny Shines Traditional Delta Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mississippi John Hurt Satisfying Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Old Town Records Presents City Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Buster Brown New King of The Blues - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE