- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 24, 2000
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Starz / Anchor Bay
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - German
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Audio Commentary: Werner Herzog - Director
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/01/1974
"...The clarity and truth of [Herzog's] method, and the value of his tension between rationality and its opposite, are summarised to perfection..."
New York Times - 04/04/1977
"...Absolutely stunning....A splendid and haunting work..."
Total Film - 09/01/2001
"...Rarely has German romanticism been so fully realised on screen..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 04/04/1999
"...Werner Herzog's AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD is one of the great haunting visions of the cinema..."
USA Today - 11/03/2000
"...It's hard to imagine a more hallucinatory movie than AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD..."
Entertainment Weekly - 05/23/2003
"...Herzog's epic about a power-drunk Spanish conquistador is like a Teutonic APOCALYPSE NOW..."
AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD is the magnificent story of a Spanish conquistador who is obsessed with the idea of conquering the South American continent and locating the fabled city of El Dorado. This is arguably director Werner Herzog's best film.
Essential Cinema |
- Theatrical Release: April 3, 1977 (US)
December 29, 1972 (Cologne, Germany).
- Shot on location in Peru between January and February 1972.
- Director Werner Herzog and actor Klaus Kinski would work together on many occasions, developing a tempestuous creative partnership that eventually became the subject of Herzog's documentary on Kinski, entitled MY BEST FIEND.