- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 14, 1999
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Starz / Anchor Bay
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 2.0 - German
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Werner Herzog - Director, Norman Hill, Actor Crispin Glover
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Liner Notes: by Crispin Glover
- Additional Products:
- Packaged in a Deluxe Blue Alpha-Pack
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2005
"[A] satire of bourgeois niceties..."
Herzog's irreverent film features a cast that's comprised entirely of dwarfs.
Essential Cinema |
- EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL was banned from Germany, and director Werner Herzog had to distribute the film himself despite various death threats.
- EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL was initially to be shot in Mexico, but was eventually filmed in the Canary Islands.
- Herzog placed an ad in a German paper in order to find someone to make wedding clothes for insects for a scene in the film.
- Herzog promised the all dwarf cast of EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL, that if they made it through the film unscathed, he would jump into a cactus field, which he eventually did.