Bobby Lewis Tossin' & Turnin'
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Big Bopper ~ Hellooo Baby! The Best of Big Bopper ~ $10.43
- by Gary U.S. Bonds ~ The Very Best of Gary "U.S." Bonds: The Original Legrand Masters ~ $10.56
- by Major Lance ~ The Very Best of Major Lance ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Wilson Pickett ~ Wilson Pickett's Greatest Hits  ~ $7.79
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
For the first time you can get your hands on 18 of Bobby Lewis' greatest songs! This collection includes the Billboard Top 10 R&B and Pop song, "One Track Mind," as well as the #1 R&B and Pop song "Tossin' and Turnin'," which remained on the charts for an unbelievable 23 weeks!
- 1.Tossin' And Turnin'
- 2.I'm Tossin' And Turnin' Again
- 3.Lonely Teardrops
- 4.One Track Mind
- 5.Head Over Heels
- 6.A Man's Gotta Be A Man
- 7.Mamie In The Afternoon
- 8.Yes, Oh Yes, It Did
- 9.What A Walk
- 10.Nothing But The Blues
- 11.Are You Ready?
- 13.Turn Over A New Leaf
- 14.Oh Yes, I Love You
- 15.Cry No More
- 16.Let Me Be The One You Love
- 17.Day By Day I Need Your Love
- 18.Tossin' And Turnin' (Stereo)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
There's something particularly American about the Bobby Lewis story, a sort of rags to riches saga that outlines the slippery slope of modern pop culture. Lewis spent his childhood in an orphanage, and when he was finally adopted by a family from Detroit when he was 12, it apparently wasn't a good fit, and Lewis ran away two-years later, finding work with a circus, of all places. Somewhere along the way Lewis met Ritchie Adams, lead singer for doo wop group the Fireflies, who was working as a staff writer for Joe Rene's New York-based Beltone Records. Adams had written something called "Tossin' and Turnin'" and Lewis was in the right place at the right time to record it. The song became the number one single of 1961, spending some 23 weeks on the charts and eventually selling over three million units, and it made Lewis a star. He followed it with another Top Ten hit, "One Track Mind," and then attempted to make lightning strike a second time in 1962 with "I'm Tossin' and Turnin' Again," which failed to generate any sparks. Beltone went bankrupt a year later, and Lewis' ride at the top was over. This set collects all of Lewis' Beltone sides (including a stereo remake of "Tossin' and Turnin'" with a slightly different intro), and has the same tracks (albeit with a different sequence) as V.I. Music's 2003 Collectors Gold Series release. The sound is a bit messy, since Beltone had a 'throw everything against the wall hard and heavy' approach to recording, and aside from the two big hits, melodies seem to pretty much blend into each other. That said, "Tossin' and Turnin'" deserves its status as a rock & roll classic, and Lewis' vocal has the exact right mix of gospel shout and wry amusement that keeps it fresh no matter how many times it gets played on oldies radio. Although he had no more hits after 1962, Lewis adapted readily to the nostalgia circuit, and seemingly grateful for his success rather than embittered at its brevity, he continued to deliver a solid stage show even into his seventies. This set has all you need, including two versions of his biggest hit. ~ Steve Leggett
Manfred MannManfred Mann Album / My Little Red Book of Winners (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Curtis LeePretty Little Angel Eyes - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 (6-CD Box Set)
$14.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,432
- UPC: 090431768525
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
- Cannonball Adderley Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE