- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 22, 2008
- Originally Released: 1940
- Label: Fox Searchlight
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English, Spanish
- Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Shirley Temple stars as the orphaned Wendy in her final film with Allan Dwan. Adopted as an infant by the husband and wife vaudeville team of Joe (Jack Oakie) and Kit Ballantine (Charlotte Greenwood), she grows into childhood as a vital part of their act. But, as she approaches school age, the couple feel that life on the road is not the best thing for Wendy, and they decide to buy a farm in Vermont and settle down. However, the local populace, led by the stiff-necked Hester Appleby, openly express their doubts about the morality of show business people. Mike Shea (George Montgomery), the owner of the local newpaper is alone in his openness toward the Ballantines. When Joe agrees with Mike's notion of promoting tourism at a town meeting, the citizenry sardonically appoint the vaudevillian a one-man chamber of commerce. When Wendy turns a school play directed by Hester into an impressive vaudeville show, the children's parents are scandalized by its content and call a halt to the show in mid-performance. Yet, all is not lost for the resourceful Ballantines. This standard Temple vehicle includes an interesting sequence of film clips revealing the child star's growth from her earliest screen appearances to adolescence.
A delightful musical-comedy about a show-biz couple who moves to a New England farming town to properly raise their adopted daughter.
- Film was re-issued in 1995 with an MPAA G rating.
- A Harry Brown production.
- Lyricist Mack Gordon and song composer Harry Warren wrote: "Fifth Avenue," "I Wouldn't Take a Million," "Tra La, La, La," "The Mason Dixon Line" and "Young People."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 105,090
- UPC: 024543514411
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item