Hank Crawford Dig These Blues / After Hours
|You Save:||$10.99 (73% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1436 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1455 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A pairing of albums originally released by Hank Crawford on the Atlantic label in the mid-60's. Session players on these two albums include Wendel Harrison, Howard Johnson, Milt Turner, Jimmy Owens, John Hunt and others.
- 1.Dig These Blues
- 2.Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- 3.Banana Head
- 4.H.C. Blues
- 5.It's A Sin
- 6.Hollywood Blues
- 7.Baby Won't You Please Come Home
- 8.New Blues
- 9.Bluff City Blues
- 10.After Hours
- 12.Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)
- 13.Next Time You See Me
- 14.Soul Shoutin'
- 15.Makin' Whoopee
- 16.When Did You Leave Heaven
- 17.The Back Slider
2 LPs on 1 CD: DIG THESE BLUES (1965)/AFTER HOURS (1966).
Originally released on Atlantic.
Personnel: Hank Crawford (alto saxophone, piano); Hank Crawford; Sonny Forriest, Willie Jones (guitar); Wilbur Brown, Abdul Baari (tenor saxophone); Alonzo Shaw (baritone saxophone); Philip Guilbeau, Fielder Floyd, Phil Guilbeau, Julius Brooks (trumpet); Edgar Willis (bass instrument); Ali Mohammed (double bass); Joe Dukes, Wilbert G.T. Hogan (drums); Wendell Harrison (tenor saxophone); Howard Johnson , Leroy Cooper (baritone saxophone); Oliver Beener, Jimmy Owens, Marcus Belgrave, John Hunt (trumpet); Milt Turner, Bruno Carr (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Rudi Blesh; Nat Hentoff.
This is one smokin' two-fer. Two of Hank Crawford's finest albums are packaged here on a single disc. Both issued in the mid-'60s, they showcase Crawford in fine company and wonderful contrast. Dig These Blues is a more down-home affair, in the pocket for the most part with midtempo blues tunes as well as a touch of Memphis-style Ellingtonia in "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." The utterly elegant and beautiful version of Charlie Warfield's "Baby Won't You Please Come Home" is done septet style, with Marcus Belgrave on trumpet. This album's closer, "Bluff City Blues," foreshadows After Hours in that Crawford is featured on piano. Released in 1966, After Hours is the mirror image of Dig These Blues in that it features more slow than middle tempos and more blues tunes than jazz numbers, and also has Crawford playing two piano workouts, including an extended one on the title track. Wendell Harrison is in evidence on Dig These Blues, as is bassist Charles Green. These are deep soul groove titles for Crawford and illustrate perfectly the enormity of his reputation. ~ Thom Jurek
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 859
- UPC: 090431765920
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE