- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 23, 2006
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Surround - English
- Stereo 2.0 - English, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: THE MAKING OF AN IMPORTANT MOVIE
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- KUNG POW: ENTER THE FIST
- DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR'
- FREDDY GOT FINGERED
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 07/31/1991
"...Brazen, funny....Sheen brings just the right exaggerated seriousness..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/31/1991
"...Sheen has his deadpan delivery down to an exact science....[The] amusing references to other films are frequent and funny..."
Total Film - 08/01/2013
4 stars out of 5 -- "The jokes come 10 a econd and most still hit the mark..."
Charlie Sheen stars in this TOP GUN spoof by the folks who created AIRPLANE and NAKED GUN, playing Topper Harley, a heartthrob fighter pilot assigned to the Navy on a secret mission, the details of which never entirely become clear. The jokes come fast and furious as Topper attempts to clear his family name while completing his mission despite the absurdity going on around him, and the spoofs are not limited to TOP GUN; DANCES WITH WOLVES and THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS also receive their due! Lloyd Bridges turns in a hilarious performance as the accident prone and eccentric Admiral Tug Benson, and Cary Elwes plays Topper's sleazy rival to perfection.
Ace pilot Topper Harley is obsessed with living down his father's disastrous reputation and also with winning the beautiful psychiatrist Ramada from professional and romantic rival Kent.
- Presented by Twentieth Century Fox in association with Peter V. Miller Investment Corp.
- The flying sequences were directed by Richard T. Stevens, who also supervised the flight scenes in "Top Gun" and "Fire Birds."
- The aircraft carrier on which the movie takes place is actually a wooden deck built on the edge of a cliff at a deserted Marineland facility. Filmmakers shot the film at an angle that made the deck look like a ship at sea.
- "Hot Shots!" features spoofs of many other movies, including "Nine 1/2 Weeks," "Superman," "The Fabulous Baker Boys," "Top Gun," "An Officer and a Gentleman," and "Gone with the Wind."
- Shooting began January 10, 1991; completed April 11. Filmed in and around Los Angeles. Recorded in a THX Sound System Theater. Color by CFI; prints by DeLuxe.
- "Hots Shots!" produced a sequel: "Hot Shots! Part Deux" (1993).
- The $9.98 VHS version has been released under the "Twentieth Century Fox Selections" label.
- Titles by Phil Norman.