Art Farmer To Sweden With Love / "Live" At The Half Note
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Art Farmer ~ Interaction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The Blues ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Art Farmer ~ Only The Best of Art Farmer Quintet (3-CD) ~ $32.97 (Save 23%)
- by Zoot Sims ~ Stretching Out / Starring Zoot / Downhome / Jazz Soul of Porgy and Bess ~ $19.82
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1430 (1964)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic SD 1421 (1964)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Inspired by Swedish folk songs, the first album in this pairing is a reissue of the Art Farmer's Quartet's 1964 album, featuring flugelhornist Farmer, guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Pete LaRoca). The second album (also from 1964) was recorded at The Half Note in NYC, and features the same personnel as the first, except that Walter Perkins replaced LaRoca on drums.
- 1.Va Da Du? (Was It You?)
- 2.De Salde Sina Hemman (They Sold Their Homestead)
- 3.Den Mostravige Brudgummen (The Reluctant Groom)
- 4.Och Hor Du Unga Dora (And Listen Young Dora)
- 5.Kristallen Den Fina (The Fine Crystal)
- 6.Visa Vid Midsommartid
- 7.Stompin' At The Savoy
- 8.Swing Spring
- 9.What's New?
- 10.I Want To Be Happy
- 11.I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You
2 LPs on 1 CD: TO SWEDEN WITH LOVE (1964)/LIVE AT THE HALF NOTE (1964).
Personnel: Art Farmer (flugelhorn); Art Farmer; Steve Swallow (double bass); Jim Hall (guitar); Pete La Roca, Walter Perkins (drums).
Liner Note Author: Martin Williams .
Recording information: Stockholm, Sweden; The Half Note, NY.
This superb two-in-one disc collects a pair of 1964 albums by Art Farmer's quartet, featuring guitarist Jim Hall and bassist Steve Swallow. The first, TO SWEDEN WITH LOVE, contains a program of Swedish folk songs (the track list sports titles like "Den Mostravige Brudgummen [The Reluctant Groom]" and "Och Hor Du Unga Dora [And Listen Young Dora]"). Here the band transforms the melodies, making each one swing gently, and opening up the tunes to intense, meditative explorations. Farmer's flugelhorn and Hall's guitar lines are perfect foils, unfurling quiet, complex lines around each other like twin wisps of smoke.
LIVE AT THE HALF NOTE has the quartet tackling a handful of jazz standards, including "Stompin' at the Savoy" and "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You," as well as the Miles Davis tune "Swing Spring." Again, the hushed intensity of the performers--the tense interplay between Swallow and drummer Walter Perkins, Farmer's lyrical phrases, and Hall's harmonically adventurous solos--is very impressive. The compelling musicianship and consistently high quality of both sets makes this release a real bargain.
Eddie HarrisCome On Down! / The Reason Why I'm Talking S--t (2-CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Groovin' High: The Ultimate Trumpet Collection (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 53,937
- UPC: 090431765425
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz General Music Categories:
- 3 Cohens Braid (CD) ~ $15.28
The 6 & 7 / 8s String Band Echoes of Tom Anderson's: The New Orleans String Jazz (2-CD) ~
$26.26 Super Savings
Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Impressions (CD) ~
$15.39 Super Savings
- Aaron Diehl The Bespoke Man's Narrative (CD) ~ $16.18
- Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum (CD) ~ $16.18