- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 3, 2006
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 4.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - French
- Mono - Spanish
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes: "On Location: Malibu"
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes (8)
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailers (3)
- "It's Make Or Break"
- "Ride The Wave"
- "Adrenaline Junkies"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 08/22/1991
"...[The director] keeps the action percolating in high style....Reeves proves a resourceful actor..."
New York Times - 07/12/1991
"...[POINT BREAK] reveals [Bigelow's] real talents as a director of fast-paced, high-adrenaline action..."
USA Today - 07/12/1991
"...Its purely visceral material (surf sounds, skydiving stunt work, a tough indoor shootout midway through) are first-rate..."
Ultimate DVD - 12/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "POINT BREAK is a big, fun, ridiculous movie that everyone should see at least once."
POINT BREAK is the high-velocity thrill ride in which clean-cut FBI agent Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) goes head to head with surfer renegade Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) in this nonstop action drama. Utah is assigned to go undercover, investigating a string of 28 bank robberies by a gang called the Ex-Presidents. With very little to go on, as the Ex-Presidents are adept at their trade, deal only in cash, and never leave behind clues, Utah's only lead comes from his partner, Pappas (Gary Busey). Pappas believes that the Ex-Presidents are a surfer gang, lead by charismatic adrenalin junkie Bodhi. Posing as a surfer himself, Utah slowly becomes a member of Bodhi's gang, enticed by his energy and craziness. As Utah's investigation goes deeper, with dazzling extreme sports hijinks that involve night surfing, sky diving, and well-executed bank robberies that serve as the glue between his world and Bodhi's, Utah must ultimately choose between duty and friendship. Director Kathryn Bigelow presents a well-sculpted masterpiece with this action-lover's dream, adding another gem to an already glowing filmography (K-19: THE WIDOWMAKER, WILD PALMS, and THE WEIGHT OF WATER).
- Theatrical Release: July 12, 1991.
- Shot on location in Southern California and in Oahu, Hawaii.
- Director Kathryn Bigelow says of POINT BREAK, "What's interesting about this film is that it's set in a landscape you think you know, yet from frame one of the movie, it suddenly becomes very tribal, primal and foreign. The beach community is explored in the film as an exotic, mysterious world full of these strange characters. You feel like you're entering some really bizarre culture that somehow exists simultaneously in the world as we know it. It's wonderful to be able to introduce audiences to a world that's unique."
- Keanu Reeves was named 1992's Most Desirable Male at the MTV Movie Awards.
- Musician Anthony Kiedis, who played "Tone," is a member of the rock group The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Vincent Klyn, who played "Warchild," is a champion surfer.
- POINT BREAK is the first film from Largo Entertainment, a joint venture of JVC/Entertainment, Inc., and producer Lawrence Gordon.