Jack Teagarden 1939 Brunswick & Columbia Recordings
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.27 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.70 (45% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Harry James ~ I've Heard That Song Before: The Hits of Harry James (2-CD) ~ $16.04
- Liner Notes: Patrick Scott
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This compilation assembles rare and hard-to-find recordings made by trombonist and bandleader Jack Teagarden in 1939 for the Brunswick and Columbia labels. Includes extensive liner notes.
- 1.The Sheik Of Araby
- 2.Class Will Tell
- 3.If It's Good (Then I Want It)
- 4.Cinderella, Stay In My Arms
- 5.That's Right - I'm Wrong (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 6.Yankee Doodle (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 7.White Sails (Beneath A Yellow Moon) (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 9.Pickin' For Patsy (Featuring Allan Reuss)
- 10.Undertow (Featuring Charlie Spivak)
- 11.Especially For You (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 12.You Know (Just As Well As I Know)
- 13.You're The Moment In My Life (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 14.The Little Man Who Wasn't There
- 15.Puttin' And Takin'
- 16.I Swung The Election
- 17.Blues To The Dole
- 18.Aunt Hagar's Blues
- 19.Rippling Waters
- 20.It's A Hundred To One (I'm In Love)
- 21.If What You Say Is True (Previously Unreleased)
- 22.Red Wing
- 23.United We Swing
- 24.Somewhere A Voice Is Calling
Jack Teagarden: Jack Teagarden (trombone); Jean Arnold (vocals); Linda Keene.
Personnel: Jack Teagarden (vocals); Jeanie Arnold, Linda Keene (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Patrick Scott.
Arranger: Fred Van Eps.
Jack Teagarden was not only one of the finest swing trombonists of his generation, but also a very accomplished singer. Teagarden is captured here during his creative peak, with 24 tracks from 1939 that bespeak his brilliance.
"If It's Good (Then I Want It)" features both Teagarden's voice and his innovative trombone playing. Lesser musicians would probably overstate this simple lyric, but Teagarden relaxes into the melody and allows the words to resonate. The tune also sports a lighthearted trombone break, and here Teagarden slides flawlessly into the last phrase, making this one of the high points on the album. "Blues to the Dole" shows off Teagarden's band quite effectively. On this selection, his ensemble embodies the sound and feel of early jazz. Specifically, the "call and response" created between the clarinets, trombones, and trumpets evoke the New Orleans Dixieland tradition. In general, this compilation is filled with inspired bluesy solos, taut orchestral arrangements, and, of course, lots of old-fashioned swing.
Will BradleyThe Best of Will Bradley With Ray McKinley - Eight To The... (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Marion Morgan / Harry JamesComplete Marion Morgan With Harry James & His Orchestra (CD)
$8.27 LABOR DAY
Tony PastorRare Tony Pastor & His Orchestra (From The Columbia Vaults) (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Al DonahueThe Solid Swing of Al Donahue & His Orchestra (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Only the Best of Jack Teagarden and His Orchestra (3-CD)
$15.97 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,832
- UPC: 090431763827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Trombone Music Categories:
- John Allred Quartet In the Beginning (CD) ~ $10.49 LABOR DAY
- Chris Barber Can't Stop Now: European Tour 2007 (CD) ~ $5.39 LABOR DAY
- Chris Barber Memories of My Trip (2-CD) [Import] ~ $17.98
- Vince Benedetti / Diana Krall / Diana Krall Heartdrops: Vince Benedetti Meets Diana Krall (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Will Bradley Basin Street Boogie: 1941-1942 (2-CD) ~ $11.18 LABOR DAY
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY