Johnny "Guitar" Watson The Best of The Okeh Years (Featuring Larry Williams & The Johnny "Guitar" Watson Trio)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Reissue compiled and produced by Doug Wygal
- Tracks 1-10 originally released on "Two For The Price Of One" (Okeh 14122) in 1967
- Tracks 11-12 originally released as Okeh single 4-7300 in 1967
- Tracks 13-18 originally released on "The Fantastic Piano and Guitar of Johnny Watson-BAD" (Okeh 14118) in 1967
- Tracks 19-20 originally released on "In A Fats Bag - The Johnny Guitar Watson Trio Plays Fats Waller" (Okeh 14124) in 1967.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
In the mid-1960s, Johnny "Guitar" Watson hooked up with Larry Williams (who by that time was the West Coast recording producer for Okeh) and recorded a number of sides for that label, including the Top 40 R&B hits "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "Nobody" (which was recorded along with Kaleidoscope). This collection compiles the best of the three albums he recorded for the Okeh label, and includes two tracks originally released as singles in 1967.
- 1.Two For The Price Of One (With Larry Williams)
- 2.Keep On Lovin' You (With Larry Williams)
- 3.Ask Me (With Larry Williams)
- 4.Ain't Gonna Move (With Larry Williams)
- 5.Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (With Larry Williams)
- 6.Too Late (With Larry Williams)
- 7.Love Is Such A Funny Thing (With Larry Williams)
- 8.Takin' No Chances (With Larry Williams)
- 9.I'd Rather Fight Than Switch (With Larry Williams)
- 10.A Quitter Never Wins (With Larry Williams)
- 11.Nobody (With Kaleidoscope) (Bonus Track)
- 12.Find Yourself Someone To Love (Bonus Track)
- 15.Unchained My Heart
- 16.Comin' Home Baby
- 17.Skate Key
- 19.Makin' Whoopee (The Johnny Watson Trio)
- 20.Ain't Misbehavin (The Johnny Watson Trio)
Johnny "Guitar" Watson had a long, colorful, and varied career that catered to different aspects of his talent. He began as a straight blues player (with excursions into futuristic sound experimentation, as on 1954's "Space Guitar"), and reinvented himself in the '70s and '80s as a funkster. In between he had a brief stint at Okeh, where he recorded some excellent sides that were heavily inflected with the R&B feel of the day.
Watson recorded three albums and some singles for Okeh in the mid-'60s. And listeners who are surprised at the many "faces" of Watson will find the sides on BEST OF THE OKEH YEARS to be a missing link of sorts. While reminiscent of the blues structures of his earlier recordings, Watson's Okeh material is up-tempo and funky with an ear toward mainstream accessibility ("Nobody" and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" made the R&B charts). It's fun, energetic music, with plenty of Watson's trademark pyrotechnic guitar to satisfy six-string enthusiasts.
The Very Best of King / Federal / Deluxe, Volume 2 (CD)(12)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 42,157
- UPC: 090431761922
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE