- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
A compilation of greatest hits by Will Bradley, who is joined by Ray McKinley. The featured tracks include "As Long As I Live," "High On A Windy Hill" and "Mean To Me."
- 1.Beat Me Daddy (Eight To The Bar), Part I
- 2.Beat Me Daddy (Eight To The Bar), Part II
- 3.There I Go (Vocal By Jimmy Valentine)
- 4.As Long As I Live
- 5.I'm Tired Of Waiting For You (Vocal By Lynn Gardner & Ray McKinley)
- 6.The Love Nest
- 7.Prairieland Lullaby (Vocal By Terry Allen)
- 8.(What Can I Say) After I Say I'm Sorry
- 9.Bounce Me Brother With A Solid Four (Vocal By Ray McKinley)
- 10.High On A Windy Hill (Vocal By Jimmy Valentine)
- 12.Celery Stalks At Midnight
- 13.Break It To Me Gently (Vocal By Ray McKinley)
- 14.The Lonesome Road
- 15.Mean To Me (Vocal By Carlotta Dale)
- 16.Flying Home
- 17.Down The Road A Piece (Vocal By Ray McKinley & Will Bradley)
- 18.Scrub Me Mama (With A Boogie Beat)
- 19.Think Of Me (Theme Song) (Vocal By Terry Allen)
- 20.Call Me A Taxi (Vocal By Ray McKinley)
Personnel: Will Bradley (vocals); Jimmy Valentine, Lynn Gardner, Ray McKinley, Carlotta Dale (vocals); Will Bradley & Ray McKinley Orchestra, Will Bradley Trio.
Recording information: 10/16/1939-07/25/1941.
Will Bradley's legacy is largely built on the work he did between 1939 and 1941, which corresponds with his collaboration with drummer and singer Ray McKinley. McKinley was one of the era's best and most dynamic big band drummers, and with Bradley's unassuming but solid trombone skills, plus Fred Slack's explosive piano playing, the Will Bradley Orchestra developed a patented boogie/swing style on hits like the two-part "Beat Me Daddy (Eight to the Bar)," "Scrub Me Mama (With a Boogie Beat)," and the smooth, easy "Celery Stalks at Midnight," all of which are included here. A rare trio outing with Bradley, McKinley, and Slack on the fun, loose "Down the Road a Piece" is a particular delight. Bradley was never much of a publicity hound, so he isn't probably as well known as he should be, but the music speaks for itself. A great set. ~ Steve Leggett
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
CD debut of some Will Bradley rarities!
Music Lover: Brian Weber
North Hollywood, CA US
-- October, 30, 2005
Producer Dan Rivard and engineer Ken Robertson have done another bang-up job. They are among a handful of people in the music industry who actually have an interest in and understanding of the swing era, and thank goodness for us that they do.
Their new Will Bradley/Ray McKinley comp contains several rarities, including the CD debut of their top ten Billboard single "High On A Windy Hill." That and "Scrub Me Mama" in particular are in super-clean sound here. The sound on mega-hit "Beat Me Daddy" disappoints a bit, but at least it's not marred by the slight echo that plagues most of its other appearances on CD.
The only real disappointment is the lack of the usual liner notes by Gary Thoreaux... But it's well worth the money anyway. Fans of big band and boogie woogie, run out and buy it!
- Sales Rank: 16,229
- UPC: 090431761823
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item