- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Surround - French, Spanish
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- DTS 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes: (10)
- Audio Commentary Bruce Gilbert - Producer, Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, Dabney Coleman - Stars
- Outtakes: Gag Reel
- Behind the Scenes: Inside Look
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- "Nine @ 25"
- "Remembering Collin Higgins"
- Karaoke - Singing Nine to Five Karaoke
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'll change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot."
- Doralee Rhodes (Dolly Parton) to Franklin Hart (Dabney Coleman)
Premiere - 11/01/2005
"The three stars are in fine fettle, with Parton especially appealing in her film debut."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/07/2006
"In this perfectly plotted paean to overworked, under-estimated, sexually harassed secretaries, the Fonda-Tomlin-Parton chemistry is divine..." -- Grade: A
9 TO 5 is the much-loved revenge comedy about three female office workers (the terrific trio of Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Dolly Parton) in a giant corporation who are subjected to the indignity of a chauvinist boss (played marvelously by Dabney Coleman). They entertain wild fantasies to get even through a series of outrageous incidents. When the film first came to theaters in 1980, it was a huge hit not just because of the quality of the film but because of the subject matter of women being treated fairly in the workplace. Dolly Parton's theme song was nominated for an Academy Award.
Three working women, one a hyperefficient office manager, one a frazzled divorcée, and the last a sexy executive secretary, combine forces to take revenge against their sleazy, sexist boss.
Big Business |
Essential Cinema |
Kidnapping And Missing Persons |
Social Issues |
Theatrical Release |
- The film featured the motion-picture debut of country singer-songwriter Dolly Parton, who said, "I figured that if it was a success, I could take some of the credit, but if it was a failure, it would all be Jane and Lily's fault."
- A television series based on the movie aired on the ABC network from March 1982 to October 1983. It starred Rita Moreno as Violet Newstead, Rachel Dennison (Parton's sister) as Doralee Rhodes, and Valerie Curtin as Judy Bernly. Franklin Hart was played by Jeffrey Tambor in the spring of 1982 and then Peter Bonerz in fall of 1983. In 1986 the series was resurrected for syndication, minus Moreno.