Peggy King Girl Meets Boy / Wish Upon A Star (with Percy Faith & His Orchestra)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Reissue Producer: Dan Rivard
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Records CL 713 (1955)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CL 2549 (1956)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Hailing from Greensburg, PA, "Pretty Perky" Peggy King toured with the bands of Charlie Spivak, Ray Anthony and Ralph Flanagan before cutting a jingle for Hunts tomato sauce that got her signed by Mitch Miller to the Columbia record label. In 1955, she was nominated for an Emmy for Best Female Singer, and was named Best New Singer by Down Beat magazine in 1956. On "Girl Meets Boy" Peggy King is joined by Jerry Vale and Felicia Sanders - and she is backed on both albums by Percy Faith & His Orchestra.
- 1.The Boy Next Door
- 2.Would You Like To Take A Walk?
- 3.All I Do Is Dream Of You
- 4.Let's Fall In Love
- 5.You Better Go Now
- 6.Goodnight My Love
- 7.I Wanna Be Loved
- 10.It's Easy To Remember
- 11.Just One More Chance
- 12.Love Is Here To Stay
- 13.Part I-When I Was Ten
- 14.When You Wish Upon A Star
- 15.When I Was Ten
- 16.Part II-A Girl With A Band
- 17.Let There Be Love
- 18.Part III-New York
- 19.Little Girl Blues
- 20.Hooray For Hollywood
- 21.Part IV-Screen Test / Long Ago (And Far Away)
- 22.Part V-Nobody Asked Me To Sing
- 23.Ev'ry Time
- 24.Part VI-Discovery / Hunts Tomato Sauce Jingle
- 25.When You Wish Upon A Star
2 LPs on 1 CD: GIRL MEETS BOY (1955)/WISH UPON A STAR (1956).
Personnel includes: Peggy King, Jerry Vale, Felicia Sanders (vocals);
Percy Faith (conductor).
Originally released on Columbia.
The Collectables reissue of two mid-'50s LPs by Peggy King reveals a singer who possessed a cute soprano voice with the character and subtle strength of Debbie Reynolds. The first of two concept LPs, 1955's Girl Meets Boy pairs King with Jerry Vale for a musical dissection of a love affair, beginning with King's sweetly innocent "The Boy Next Door" and continuing through "Would You Like to Take a Walk?" and "Let's Fall in Love." Felicia Sanders briefly catches the eyes of Vale with "I Wanna Be Loved" and "Temptation," but King of course wins the boy back and they celebrate with the closer, "Love Is Here to Stay." In similar company to Mel Torm‚'s Prelude to a Kiss and several other story-in-song LPs of the time, Girl Meets Boy leans less on jazz (or even jazz interpretation) than the musical scores that were lighting up the charts during the mid-'50s. Still, King carries the LP well, and Percy Faith's orchestration is appropriately grand, sweeping along at the pace of a promenade. The second record, 1956's Wish Upon a Star, finds King on the long road to fame, encompassing "When I Was Ten," "When You Wish Upon a Star," and "Hooray for Hollywood." Just before the title song is reprised at the end, King's character is discovered by an A&R executive while she sings a radio jingle for Hunt's Tomato Sauce, in the exact circumstances King is said to have been discovered by Mitch Miller. Between the theme of the LP and King's voice, listeners can barely stop thinking about Reynolds' role in the 1952 film smash Singin' in the Rain. ~ John Bush
Percy FaithPlays Music From Broadway Production of House of Flowers /... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Jill CoreySometimes I'm Happy... Sometimes I'm Blue (with Bonus... (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Jerry ValeYou Don't Have To Say You Love Me / I Don't Know How To... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 39,325
- UPC: 090431761427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Vocals genre:
- Della Reese And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Bobby Vinton 16 Most Requested Songs (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Various Artists Night And Day - The Stars Of Las Vegas (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Dean Martin Memories Are Made of This / That's Amore (45) ~ $3
- Bobby Vinton Mr. Lonely / Country Boy (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE