- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: HBO Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
AMERICA'S DREAM is an acclaimed made-for-cable trilogy of tales dealing with the African American experience. THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST BLACK, directed by Bill Duke, from John Henrik Clarke's story, follows a small-town principal as he tries to defend a controversial student; LONG BLACK SONG is based on Richard Wright's story about a man who sacrifices his meager wealth for a cheating wife; and THE REUNION is based on Maya Angelou's tale of a jazz pianist struggling to overcome her racism-filled past.
This powerful trilogy of films, produced by HBO, deals with the black experience in America in a variety of settings. In THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST, directed by Bill Duke, an elementary school principal (Wesley Snipes) whose career is moving forward faces a painful choice when a student at his school paints a portrait for a competition of Jesus Christ as a black man. LONG BLACK SONG deals with a poor sharecropper (Danny Glover) whose bored wife flirts with a white salesman while he's out at work. In THE REUNION, Lorraine Toussaint plays a successful jazz singer in Chicago in 1958. She has an emotional encounter that brings back painful memories of growing up a servant's daughter in a wealthy white home. The three shorts are all notable for the direct and honest way they deal with the complexities of black life in America during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s.
Black Heritage |
Race Relations |
Short Stories |
- This film was originally shown on HBO in 1995.
- Paris Barclay, who directed one of the three segments, is an acclaimed music video director.
- Kevin Rodney Sullivan, who directed one of the segments, also directed SOUL OF THE GAME, about Negro League baseball, for HBO.
- The film was nominated for an NAACP Image Award.
- Danny Glover won a Cable Ace Award for his performance in LONG BLACK SONG.
- Wesley Snipes, Vanessa Bell Calloway, and Jasmine Guy were nominated for NAACP Image Awards for their performances in THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST BLACK.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,967
- UPC: 026359131721
- Shipping Weight: 0.23/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item